FNIRSI DSO-TC2 Handheld Tester

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Wow! They have done it again! Now the little handheld Component Tester has been merged with the little handheld Oscilloscope and a 16V voltmeter and square wave generator was also added. They are even cheaper on Alix but this ad gives a pretty comprehensive overview. The only thing they left out was a transistor curve tracer. Probably (surely) not the most accurate thing on your bench but if anything like the earlier models not too shabby for ~50USD!
1661200726829.png
FNIRSI DSO-TC2 Handheld Digital Oscilloscope LCR Meter Graphic Display Transistor Tester 2.4-inch TFT Color Screen LED Backlight for Auto Repair Appliance Repair Sale - Banggood USA

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Wow! They have done it again! Now the little handheld Component Tester has been merged with the little handheld Oscilloscope and a 16V voltmeter and square wave generator was also added.
Pretty neat.

Not much of a scope, but it could be very handy at the lower frequencies (mostly audio and PWM I‘d think) for someone who doesn’t have a scope. The price is pretty good. The thing that bugs me, though, is while I might want a little scope in my tool bag, a component tester isn’t something I can picture carrying around, and since I have real scopes on the bench, it would never get used there. So it’s one of those multifunction devices that is like a bad database design—not normalized.

But, as I said, if you are currently scopeless, work with lower frequency signals whose waveforms would be helpful to see, and need a component tester (everyone who doesn’t have one does!), this looks nice.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Like many of the products from this maker 10mV/Div maximum sensitivity is of questionable use, especially when paired with a 10x probe when max sensitivity then becomes 100mV/div which is or barely any use at all !
Let the buyer be fully informed and beware.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
About the only thing I've used my pocket scope for is sniffing for noisemakers around the house to find the culprits and abate them. Its portability is great for that with ~12" of wire clamped into the probe for an antenna. It was only a few years ago that they first started entering the market as bare board DIY component tester kits and then the DIY plexiglass laser-cut case kits for them came out and they just keep getting better. As a component tester they are handy for a quick read and I can find the xstr leg arrangement faster with one than looking up the PDF on the computer. I agree the scope is very limited and I can get the latest component tester version for 20USD. It is interesting to me watching how they slowly keep improving on them though.

rsjsouza

Joined Apr 21, 2014
IIRC the component tester on this bundle is more limited than your typical GM328A tester - it does not evaluate ESR, for example.

However, it seems these folks ported the firmware from the Atmel device to the Cortex M, which might see a big increase in performance.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I've compared mine against some precise instruments and they are pretty close. Typically, less than 10% error or better. It will get you in the ballpark for most situations but if you need more accuracy, you're gonna use well-designed and precise bench instruments. If I've got components lying about on the bench that need to be sorted and put back into storage, I grab mine, especially since I'm colorblind and most resistors give me problems. But I'm using the 20USD model. I also have a pair of tweezers that I can plug in for SMDs.
1661368862356.png

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
That‘s the same version I use though mine is branded Lognrunner. I’ve found it to be very good. The IR remote decoder is a bit of an odd add on but I have used it to confirm remote operation a couple of times, so it’s useful. Particularly nowadays when phone cameras feature much better IR cut filters rendering them all but blown to remotes.