FM tx boost for a dummy?

ratio411

Joined Feb 13, 2011
Hi, I found this site looking for answers to questions about an electric motor.

I figure since I am here, maybe you can answer my question about using RF modulators to transfer MP3 player music to my work vehicle radios.

I have tried several modulators to transfer MP3 music to obscure FM radio frenquencies on my work truck stereo. I have yet to find one that sends a clear to signal to these radios. I have tried different brands, different power sources (battery and 12v auto), different MP3 players, different locations in relation to antenna and/or receiving stereo, and tried these in all different vehicles. The only things in common have been poor performance and most of our work trucks are Ford.

Help? Ideas? Easy way to boost signal?
I spend much of my day in my work trucks, so it's a worthwhile project for me to boost performance without buying a new stereo for each truck I might be in on a given day.

My father (deceased) had a TX booster for his CB radio that looks just like a car stereo amplifier, but it no longer works. Would something like this boost the signal of an RF modulator working around 106.9 FM?

Remember, you a dealing with an electronics dummy here! No flames!:D
Thanks
Dave

ratio411

Joined Feb 13, 2011
I guess I should clarify what "poor performance" means to me:

I hear the music on clear and obscure stations, but no matter how hard I try, which system I use, or where I place it in the vehicle, I don't get a clear, static free signal.
I usually don't get the signal in 'stereo', and even when I do, it is in and out of stereo signal constantly, which just adds to the static and noise disruptions, and therefore frustrations with the whole RF wireless music idea.

I feel like if the tx power output was just a bit higher, I could hear clear music over my work truck radios. I already move the RF unit, MP3 player, and all related wiring from vehicle to vehicle as needed. Moving one more item, such as a signal booster, wired together if need be, is not a problem.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I've made a super-simple FM transmitter I'm using when I'm gardening. I plug it in the computer-speaker, and tune in my radio:

The computer is in the basement, and the range is just around the garden.

It's perfect.

Just be aware of the transmitting regulations...

Attachments

ratio411

Joined Feb 13, 2011
Hey thanks!
Looks simple enough, though I have to learn what I am looking at. :)

Can this be made to work with 12v DC as the power?

ratio411

Joined Feb 13, 2011
Just thinking aloud, comments welcome...

I have had a few of the cheap 1.5v AA battery powered RF transmitters before, and they worked no better or worse than the 12v versions that plug into the power port. What if I took one of these units and ran more than 1.5v DC through it? Would it boost the output, or just burn up the unit? What would it do with 3v DC? 9v DC? Even 12v DC?

I'll have to check around and see where I put the little battery modulator...
If I still have it, there is nothing to lose by throwing more voltage at it, I just won't plug in my MP3 player when experimenting. Don't want to fry that.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
There are several things that affects the range of a transmitter:

• Placement of the transmitter
  • Size and placement of the antenna
  • Transmitter frequency
  • Power- or battery source.

Everything needs to be tuned to work together.

My gardening setup is not optional, the antenna is a 50cm wire, and the powersource is a 9v battery, and the placement is in the basement...:eek: