Fly back converter

Lakshmi Rao

Joined Apr 9, 2004
I am an engineering student working on flyback converter design with the following specifications:

i/p to the fly back: 10Vdc-14Vdc
o/p of the fly back: 50Vdc-5000Vdc

According to the above requirements the transformer's turns ratio would be 1:500. Is it possible to construct such a kind of transformer.
If not would you please tell what is the maximum turns ratio possible to construct the fly back transformer.
I dont know much about transformers, hence I request you to give me the design details & links pertaining to this topic.

bipin

Joined Mar 21, 2004
hi lakshmi,
the out put voltage of a fly back converter is not just depend on the transformer ratio. you can have a simple 1:1 transformer and still achieve higher voltage at the out put side.
if you clearly analyse a fly back transformer you will find that it is an energy throwing mechanism where if the out put is not contineously drained the voltage keeps builing to infinity. but in practilcal the stess on the input switch increases and it blows out.
you will have to know about the current requirement and HT handling techniques before starting up this project.
Are you aware of the area of products and the detailed visualized working of a flyback converter?
encouraging you to visualize it and take it up.
bipin