Fluke 287?

Tony3d

Joined Nov 26, 2013
Hi all, I'm new to this form. I just got back into electronics about 5 months ago, and I'm having a blast! Was really into kit building, and such before I got married, then kinda dropped it due to simply being to busy. Now that I'm approaching retirement I'm starting to find I have much more time on my hands, so I began setting up an all new lab. I now have a new variable power supply, solder station, function generator, Oscilloscope, and another FAILED multimeter! Which brings me to the point of this post. I have always bought relatively cheap meters in the $80.00 range. I find them to be adequate, but their reliability even just as a hobbyist meter leaves a lot to be desired. My latest one a Klein MM1000 just had a failed range switch. So I finally decided to spend some real money, and ordered a Fluke 287, which should be hear Monday. Trouble is I have been hearing a bunch of chatter about this little super cap leaking on the board. Called Fluke the other day, and they keep telling me that this is an non-issue. This leaves a very bad taste in my mouth because if you look at some of he photo's on the web, it looks like quite an issue to me. Have any of you experienced this problem yet? If I keep the meter it is always going to seem somehow tainted to me! This would be my first Fluke product. Any input would be great! This was a lot of money, and Fluke's resistance to admitting a problem exists is troubling.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
You can always replace the super cal before it fails.

My one does not have a cap, it's a 117C.

If I were u I would take it apart and replace the cap to a more trusted maker.

Tony3d

Joined Nov 26, 2013
Yes, but his will most certainly void the warranty. One of the reasons I went with Fluke, and not Agilent.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Fluke has a very good reputation. I'm sorry to here about these 2 problems. (A bad capacitor and the usual denials.) My Fluke is 34 years old and has never made a mistake (unless you call breaking the test leads a mistake). I say get one you trust. It could mean your safety to depend on your meter. Any other Fluke model would probably fix this problem.

List what you think is important and people hear will probably get in line to help you find the right one.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Ahhh ! I was not thinking about tht.

Still, warranty is always useless when you are in Maldives.

You cannot even sue ur self. Much less a warranty provider.