Flowchart loop

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There are two methods. Method 1 is not one of them.

Method 2 is called a REPEAT-UNTIL loop.

If you interchange the structures you have a WHILE-DO loop.

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I've seen both conventions used in practice. Personally, I've always indicated process flowing directly to the step versus using a node (method 1). IMHO, it is less confusing. I'd say it depends on what your audience may be expecting, as neither method can be misconstrued.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I'm agreeing with Jpanhalt and djsfantasi.

The responsibility of someone drawing a flowchart is to make sure there is no ambiguity where the program flow is going, and both methods do that fine, but one uses more space and is messier.

I use the method in the microsoft example, it is smaller and neater.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
After further study... Unfortunately, I no longer have access to current ISO or NCCLS/CLSI (roughly an American equivalent for clinical sciences) standards. Nevertheless, here are examples of those standards that allow multiple inputs to a process.

Source: http://isoforlab.com/phocadownload/csli/GP26-A3.pdf
Capture.PNG

Source:
http://leanman.hubpages.com/hub/ISO-9001-Procedures#slide3797247
Capture1.PNG

There are even examples of multiple inputs to decisions (diamond). It is my understanding that a process can have just one output and any number of inputs. A decision has just two outputs (yes/no; positive/negative; etc.). There is no specification for number of inputs; although, in my experience, I have rarely seen more than two inputs.

John

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Hi all,

Hope this is the right section.
When doing a loop in a flowchart, which method from the two attached should I used please?
If the box in No. 1 is actually composed of more than one "step" I will find it confusing. Just by breaking it in the steps it is formed by, you expose the nodes (access or entry points).

I tend to think that better you always return, GOTO or whatever to the entry point of the next step as in No. 2.