Flourescent fixture, no ballast

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Gdrumm, Apr 13, 2010.

  1. Gdrumm

    Thread Starter Distinguished Member

    Aug 29, 2008
    I came across a type of Flourescent Light fixture that I've never seen before, and it has two electronic components that I cannot identify.

    It has no ballast. Instead, it has two small transformers, one on either end. Connected across each end is a small foil looking component, about the size of a Double A Battery. In parallel with each of those foil looking cylinders is a resistor. There is also a small circuit board mounted in the middle of the fixture.

    One of the foil components looks to be partially burnt, maybe even melted...

    Does anyone know what these are called, and where I might be able to buy one? There are no markings on them.

  2. rjenkins

    AAC Fanatic!

    Nov 6, 2005
    It sounds like an electronic (high frequency) ballast, the same idea as in compact fluorescents. They are often sold as quick start or flicker free.

    The component you mention sounds like a capacitor, but there are thousands of possiblities. Also something else may have failed causing that part to go.