Floppy drive interface help

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Hi everyone :)

Designed a Z80 computer with simple interface etc and all is good. But i really want a floppy drive interface but having problems with gathering data. I see there are chips that can interface with them but hard to understand so could someone just direct me to a general area and links (cough bertus cough) ;)

Just need some info on circuits and software :/
Thanks

davebee

Joined Oct 22, 2008
If you got a Z80 design working, I can't believe that a floppy interface chip would be that much more difficult.

A few years ago I built a floppy interface to a microcontroller not using any interface chip, so I've got some familiarity with the interface. It's complicated but not majorly so.

I see a lot of references to the Intel 8272, but all I did was Google floppy interface chip, which I'm sure you've already done, so, sorry, but I can't suggest any better references.

kkazem

Joined Jul 23, 2009
Hi,
I have a suggestion for you. Do your own homework on this one. It may take more research, but you'll learn more in the end. Try changing search terms.
Also, go to Globalspec.com and search for floppy interface chips. Use Ask.com, dogpile.com, Lycos.com. And you can use the IEEE references as well. If you're in school, it's probably free to look-up their references, whereas I have to pay $ 30/month for up to 25 papers.

The best strategy is to find the companies that make floppy interface chips. Then, go to their websites and look up those chips in their selector guide (DigiKey.com is another good place to do this). Many IC companies have free reference designs with free kits containing a ckt bd and all the parts you need. They all have application engineers if you get stuck that are paid to help you get your projects working using their chips.

Regards,
Kamran Kazem
kkazem

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Wish I could help, but all the Z80 computers I messed with were cassette drives. Yes, it is as bad as it sounds.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
looks like that floppy stuff is mainly software based :O
Who would have though :D

Oh bill, with your work on computers i was really hoping that you could help XD