Light sensor operating a linear actuator.

shores487

Joined Jan 22, 2022
Hello, As simple as this is, I’m lost, it’s just not my area. Anyone able to load up a diagram of how to wire this linear actuator so the light sensor sends it up in daylight and down at darkness. Thanks for the help. See photos. 60CB759C-2DA3-48B9-B4C3-7FACCFAAF559.jpeg
2E6ABA5E-E0FB-4387-9962-CE07B9099900.jpeg
F7A67603-DA94-4208-B8EF-9CD8D2EA8EC7.jpeg
60EEECF4-E54F-43A8-A593-A2F5D6F32759.jpeg
6B99093C-D7C8-4CEB-8D15-971B969E31A6.jpeg5BE09EDE-93D4-4DA2-8447-9F281D6015D9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

shores487

Joined Jan 22, 2022
Hello, I followed some of your threats on here and it seems you’re quite experienced and I was going to see either on here or via my email <Mod:deleted email, avoid spam> you would be able to help me wire up this actuator for my wife as I am somewhat lost. I have 3 items and a lithium battery I am trying to set up to open and shut at day rise and evening.

AC DC 12V 10A Auto On Off Photocell Light Switch Photoswitch Light Sensor Switch
ECO LLC 12 Inch 12" High Speed 14mm/s Linear Actuator Motor 1000N DC12V with Mounting Brackets

Electromagnetic Power Relay, 8-Pin 10 AMP 12V DC Relay Coil with Socket Base, LED Indicator, DPDT 2NO Oi 2NC - MY2NJ [Applicable for DIN Rail System]

Lithium battery is power supply.

Welcome to AAC.

It is a bit hard to follow what you are doing concerning the switches so in general terms the best way (absent more information) to do this would be to use a relay to reverse the polarity from up to down, or vice versa. The "normal" direction would be without the relay turned on, the reverse would have the relay on. It requires only one power supply, and will work perfectly.

On the wood strip, you propose an "open loop" system. That is, to depend on timing and not feedback. This is not very good because the wood may not move for some reason and the hatch will try to open anyway. Instead, I would use a limit switch that actually detects the wood in the open position, and enables the power supply to the actuator. If the wood is not up, the actuator won't run, if it is, it will run. This can be done in a complementary fashion disabling the wood movement when the hatch is open as well.
4464296B-5D1B-4EF7-BF5B-7EF4E36BCEB9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

shores487

Joined Jan 22, 2022
The paper shows how to connect the 3wire light switch.
Question is, does that light switch work the way you want it, or is it opposite of what you want?
ahh, the problem is that I don’t know how to wire that light switch into everything else, and everything else into that. I was hoping for a diagram for all 4 parts shown here.

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
The 3wire for DC is as the paper says, but I guessing that controls the relay some how, then onto the linear motor.

Does the linear move up when connected to batt, then down when you swap leads on batt?

shores487

Joined Jan 22, 2022
Something like this, but I don’t have the light controller only the sensor.
78BB3F95-B7D1-42B1-90AB-F8C3E6EAAEFB.png
The 3wire for DC is as the paper says, but I guessing that controls the relay some how, then onto the linear motor.

Does the linear move up when connected to batt, then down when you swap leads on batt?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The wiring diagram you have seems to be reasonable as far as it goes, but it also doesn’t seem sufficient.

Unless the actuator automatically turns off its own motor at end of travel, you are going to need some way to remove power when the actuator is in the up or down position. You can’t continue to supply power after it reaches the limit. Even if the actuator motor can tolerate it, which seems unlikely, the battery will be quickly drained.

Speaking of which, how do you intend to charge the battery? Have you worked out about how long to expect it to last?

Also, there are no provisions for manual operation of the actuator. What if you need to open or close the door at the wrong time of day? Will the actuator be accessible when the door is closed, in case it fails to operate, and not become an inaccessible lock on the door?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Be aware that the relay you have specified has a polarity-sensitive coil, so must be connected correctly (to avoid possible coil damage?)
Is this project another chicken coop door opener? If so, there are other threads on the subject.

Last edited: