Floodlights most effective type?

Dead Crow

Joined Mar 6, 2010
Hi everyone, I am wanting to buy or possibly make my own floodlights for night surfing. I have heard of LED flood lighting but am not sure how effective it is. Does anyone have an effective circuit diagram for making LED floodlights? Otherwise ,as far as I know , Halogen bulbs are the most commononly used and most effective bulbs to use...? I would obviously prefer to use LEDs as they draw less current. I have mains supply power of 220VAC.:)

Dead Crow

Joined Mar 6, 2010
haha. I guess Im talking about the flood lights ability, specifically in this case to light up the ocean, measured I guess in Lux or Candela? Im also interested though in the power consumption versus light produced.... and also cost I guess. I just reckon you're the guys to ask. I have been messing with LED lighting for my house using a really cheap transformers ,rectifiers etc but I havent really been able to make any significant light even thought they claim they are super bright. It may just be my poor excuse for a diffuser. If anyone could help me with making LED floodlights I would be really grateful, as they just seem the most power efficient bulbs....pls dont ask what i mean by efficient....I guess its a bit like effective haha

Dead Crow

Joined Mar 6, 2010
Hahahaha No, I should explain. I live on a bay full of rocks. The idea is to put floodlights on the rocks to light the water while i surf. I realize I will have to use probably at least 6mm squared cores of wire to prevent volt drop( I think thats about 3AWG). Thanks guys , that was quite amusing the thought of surfing with an extension lead on my shoulder will entertain me for months!

Dead Crow

Joined Mar 6, 2010
good idea with the head lamp, maybe i can make a plan with waterproofing... else make a deal with the devil and get so good i never fall or get wet