floating pt multiplication, pipeline!

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Hi All

I need help on the problem attached as I'm stucked trying to solve it...

If you know where I can download the solution for it COOL! Or if you can solve it Cool too...lol

As for sub question (b) I already have the solution (I think) as shown...

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

Last edited:

chrisw1990

Joined Oct 22, 2011
c) thats just two registers at the top, one at the bottom isnt it?
your to multiplication variables and output?
and what do you mean d)iii] is trivial?

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What is the detailed format for your 32-bit floating point representation? It's not enough to just say that its got an 8-bit exponent and a 32-bit mantissa, so I'm assuming that this is being done in the context of a course in which the remaining format details have already been established and are simply assumed in this problem.

You have something coming from the Unpack block going directly to the Pack block. What is it?

Do the Unpack and Pack blocks do anything? Are they just registers?

Please explain what each of the blocks in your diagram is supposed to do, as clearly as you can.

Let's say that I give you two three digit numbers: ABC and DEF and ask you to devise an algorithm for how to multiply them to produce a six digit result, UVWXYZ, and all you have is the ability to multiply two single-digit numbers to produce two-digit results. Normally I would restrict you to also being able to only add two single-digit numbers to produce a single-digit sum and a carry, but given the problem statement, I'll let you use adders of any width.