Flat or "invisible" wire options

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm working on installing a length of EL tape in my kitchen. The wire that powers it will be somewhat visible so I want to be neat about it. Normal lamp cord is too much. Thin, clear speaker wire wouldn't be too bad but I'm looking for better options.

Any suggestions?

This stuff isn't bad but I don't need 16 gauge and I don't need 50 ft. I could probably get by with 5 feet of 20-22 gauge.

upload_2019-2-7_15-15-41.png

Ghost wire from Amazon looks cool but it's too expensive for skinflint like me, and again I don't need 50 feet of 16 gauge.

The flat wire from Taperwire looks pretty good (222-WT/CL/BLK, near the bottom) but I can't see that they sell at the retail level.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I'm working on installing a length of EL tape in my kitchen. The wire that powers it will be somewhat visible so I want to be neat about it. Normal lamp cord is too much. Thin, clear speaker wire wouldn't be too bad but I'm looking for better options. Any suggestions?
Very limited experience with EL tape myself. Isn't it possible that the actual connection is kept out of sight so you actually mask a small portion of the EL tape itself where it is visible? More or less what they do in planes to mark your path on the aisle.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Very limited experience with EL tape myself. Isn't it possible that the actual connection is kept out of sight so you actually mask a small portion of the EL tape itself where it is visible? More or less what they do in planes to mark your path on the aisle.
I'm not concerned with the connection. I'll make it as small and inconspicuous as possible. I'm just looking for the few feet between where my power supply will be 'hidden' up under the counter and where the EL tape is. I can route it along where the cabinet meets the wall.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I just made a short sample of " Taperwire " with 3/4 in mylar tape with 2 strips of 7/32 Cu self adhesive tape
= spaced with a top layer of mylar. I have sheets of non stick paper to lay it out on. Easier to use 300 ohm twin lead.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I went looking for something temporary in my basement and discovered a roll of telephone hookup wire I had. I meant to give it to goodwill but hadn’t yet. It’s flat and white and if I make two pairs out of the four conductors, one for each side, I’m sure it’ll be fine. Now I just need to get it to hang straight in the corner.

The EL tape over the kitchen sink looks absolutely awesome. It’s not very bright but in a dark room it’s plenty to get around without banging into things.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
A few years ago, you could get tape for security systems to stick on glass- the 'tape' was actually a conductive film, about 1/4" wide, with glue on one side, so you could stick it to the glass, and if the glass breaks, it allegedly would break the tape as well, setting off an alarm in an N/C circuit.

You might see if you can get that tape at a hardware store, or online. once applied, just paint over it with whatever color you like.

amazon search:

window glass aluminum conductive tape

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
A few years ago, you could get tape for security systems to stick on glass- the 'tape' was actually a conductive film, about 1/4" wide, with glue on one side, so you could stick it to the glass, and if the glass breaks, it allegedly would break the tape as well, setting off an alarm in an N/C circuit.

You might see if you can get that tape at a hardware store, or online. once applied, just paint over it with whatever color you like.

amazon search:

window glass aluminum conductive tape
Interesting option, thanks. It would solve my issue of how to hold the wire fast to the wall in a nice straight line. And I've got a grandson coming along that might enjoy playing with this stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072844XWN/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza