Discussion in 'General Science' started by Sparky49, Oct 10, 2012.

  1. Sparky49

    Thread Starter Well-Known Member

    Jul 16, 2011
    Hi guys,

    I've got a super cool project in the making (I will remember to write up in the projects section!), and I was wondering if there was a buchner style flask which has two of the 'arms' instead of one.

    I'm not into chemistry, so I have no idea if it even exists. :(

    Many thanks,

  2. Kermit2

    AAC Fanatic!

    Feb 5, 2010
  3. PedroDaGr8

    New Member

    Aug 26, 2009
    Hehe YES! A question I'm intimately familiar with as a chemist.

    Kermit, that flask is enormous (5 liters!), that's part of the reason it is so expensive (the other being that it is sold by SA). Still, flasks in general are not going to be cheap and of course price varies heavily based upon size.

    Also, you mentioned a Buchner flask which is also known as a filter flask (or a side-arm Erlenmeyer). I'm not sure if you want two hose connections and the open neck or you just need two connections. If the latter, you can get a side-arm erlenmeyer with a 24/40 neck. Then cap the neck with a 24/40 to hose adapter.

    Now if you need three arms, you aren't going to find it in Erlenmeyer/Buchner format (except for custom order). You are instead looking at round-bottom flasks(such as the one Kermit showed), schlenk flasks (similar to the aforementioned RB but one of the necks has a stop-cock on it) and European style three necks (flat bottom, cylindrical body).