Flashlights that have that annoying blinky mode - can it be eliminated?

Lumenosity

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Hello,
Does anyone here know anything about flashlights and eliminating that most annoying blinky (SOS) mode that does nothing but drive you crazy when you're using the flashlight?

Would it help if I posted some photos of circuit boards?
I have no idea how they make them blink but I sure wish I could discover how to eliminate that mode.
All I want is HIGH, LOW and OFF

Right now it has HIGH, LOW, SOS (blinky) and OFF

Thanks for any input

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Hello,
Does anyone here know anything about flashlights and eliminating that most annoying blinky (SOS) mode that does nothing but drive you crazy when you're using the flashlight?

Would it help if I posted some photos of circuit boards?
I have no idea how they make them blink but I sure wish I could discover how to eliminate that mode.
All I want is HIGH, LOW and OFF

Right now it has HIGH, LOW, SOS (blinky) and OFF

Thanks for any input
It might have a SP3T (Single pole Three throw) switch that you might be able simply cut the outgoing circuit to the blinking function off from giving you a H > L > off > off setup.

However more than likely it's got a micro controller in it and there's not much you can do other than scrap it and wire it up with a simple On > Off function switch instead.

Yea, I hate the unnecessary near useless extra functions they put on flashlights too. Especially when it's an otherwise really well built and designed flashlight but has a really crappy undersized battery system for no reason. :mad:

Last edited:

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

You can also buy one with only one mode, on or off. Then you can install your own switch like a 3PST with center off, and use two resistors (or just one resistor) to set the brightness for each of the two new modes. It's not hard really, you just have to modify the tail end switch to turn it into a new kind of slide switch. I did that with one of mine and i get whatever dimness i want on the dim mode because i can set the resistor to whatever value i need. I need a very very low dim level on mine so i had to do something. Now i have dim and bright, which is what i usually need. The dim mode gives me hours and hours of run time, while the bright mode is for when i really do need the max liight.
These lights are so cheap these days you can buy two and play around with different ways to modify them.
BTW the resistor goes in series with the back end of the battery and the switch.
Good luck.