Fixing an Outboard DAC

giro1990

Joined Sep 9, 2013
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I was hoping someone could say how plausible it would be to fix this (as opposed to binning it):

basically, I plugged this into a powered USB slot and it looks like doing so fried the chip at the start of the board. It did work before I did this.

I was going to throw it out but I paid alot for it so I might sell for spares and repairs if anyone would like to undertake such a repair and/or if that is even possible.

Would give it away to anyone willing to fix it
or pay for it to be repaired.
or repair it myself, if its easy enough. I have soldering iron, might need a fine tip solder however.

Thanks (in a rush!) will report back

p.s. Its a HRT music streamer II

giro1990

Joined Sep 9, 2013
I'm assuming only the first chip was fried so I might attempt to fix that.
as I cannot see damage anywhere else on the PCB.

Still up for sale in meantime however (its a good dac, just broken).

Thanks

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
While it is a little buried between the USB socket and those LEDs the device is not a hard part to swap out for anyone with the right tools. I could do it in a NY minute.

The hard part is determining just what part this is, then getting your hands on one.

And welcome to the forums!

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
It's likely to be a standard linear voltage regulator.

However fried like that seems to indicate a nasty overcurrent/overvoltage condition (or both!) has occurred, so there is possibility of any downstream electronics being fried as well (like processor or DAC chips etc).

It's not that hard to replace the IC, but keep in mind that still only gives you a 50:50 odds of fixing it (as other parts might be blown).