Fishing Kayak Electrical box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazilian Nut

Joined Aug 19, 2013
Hello fellas, I'm installing an electrical trolling motor on my fishing kayak and I need help with the electrical diagram.
My main question is how to install a volt/amps meter into my circuit so I could read how many volts I still have on my 12V deep cycle battery and also how many amps I'm drawing at any moment.
Is it possible?
I'm uploading 2 pix, one of the pieces I think I have to have together (I already bought all of them and just the volt/amps meter still didn't arrive) and one of the volt/amps meter.
All help is welcome, thanks in advance.

Attachments

Last edited:

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Do you have info/links on the meter and the shunt? Sometimes these meters cannot be powered off of the same voltage source that you are measuring.

Ken

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Hey ya Nut. <smile>

The first thing I see is a relay: these things take more current then they are worth, especially in a kayak where you can reach just about anywhere to turn off a switch and have very limited power available.

The shunt looks fine for this, just again it will take more power to run then a simple analog meter would. I assume you have another meter for voltage: you should seriously consider putting them both on a momentary push button for power (so they are only on briefly to make a measurement).

Running lights: you intend to be out at night? Will you be *stuck* out at night in times the battery is dead? Lights wouldn't work then... may consider a secondary power source for them. A small battery would do, they draw lots less power then the motor does.

Just tossing out ideas, off to work now, will check back later.

Status
Not open for further replies.