fisher and paykel smart drive??

maliz

Joined Feb 28, 2013
so im pretty new to working with AC, but im hoping to use a fisher and paykel permanent magnet motor as a generator, but like I said im not familiar with AC and im wanting to change it to DC 12v, hoping to get a hand with how to re wire it to make 12v DC or how to wire it to a rectifier, probably simple but I used one the way I was told and it came up as DC on my multimeter but it was in the 100v+ area not around 12v. any help would be appreciated

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The F&P motors are brush less DC (BLDC) motors. And work on ~100V DC with three phases. So you will will need a three phase rectifier bridge. And a switching converter would be the most efficient way to get 12V from the rectified DC. Google "buck converter" to find out more.

Google will also get you many ways people have done what you want to do.

maliz

Joined Feb 28, 2013
thanks heaps, had a feeling the guy I talked to at the shop wasn't sure of himself, he said if I just use the rectifier it will come out at 12v dc and would just need a capacitor to keep it a steady 12 flow, but it was basically the same voltage, only difference was it turned it to dc. and the capacitor would just blow if 100v went through wouldn't it? might do some goooooogling now.

maliz

Joined Feb 28, 2013
also im only just learning proper electrical terms and a lot of what I know I don't even know the names or terms for, the rectifier I have is a rated max 400v and has two points for connecting AC and two points where it comes out DC, the fisher and paykel motor has 3 wires (red, blue and yellow) as im guessing you know. when I connect it to the rectifier do I join two together? and does it matter which wires go to which points?

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
No. Please google or wiki for "3 phase rectifier bridge" which shows how to make one from 6 diodes and how to connect the wires.