First year Engineer looking for Project ideas

desecrate

Joined May 26, 2010
I am on my first year of Electronic Engineering. We just started our second term, and even though it is a very demanding course, I want to do a project in my spare time; and I came here to ask if any of you fellows can think of a project that isn't too challenging for me, based on what I am being taught.

We just did lots of work on op-amps and simple logic circuits. We have built a series of audio amplifiers and filters and a few small projects, like an electronic die with a 6 LED display. They are purposefully avoiding transistors and non-linear circuits at the moment, so I am not sure I would understand anything with those in. I am familiar with microcontrollers.

I'd like to make something that I can use for myself; such as a ~2 watt audio amplifier to drive some PC speakers, but it seems op-amps can't really do power amplification, and I can't find any other schematics that I know I can understand at first glance. The other idea I had was to make an alarm clock, but all the circuits I look at seem very complex, or are very simple microcontrollers with C code. I would prefer something discrete so that I can practice what I am learning.

Any and all ideas are welcome, gentlemen.

- James

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I think that the amplifier is not a bad idea, maybe you could have somewhat more power like 10W per channel to make it a little bit more challenging. That will improve your understanding of discrete transistor circuits.
Another idea could be something in the way of "color music" i.e. different colors for different frequencies and amplitudes. That is more in the field of opamps.
Depends on what you want to learn, also some kind of linear or pwm regulator could be an interesting topic for you.

arslankhan

Joined Jan 23, 2013
Hi James, it is very good to choose that forum.
you can do the following projects,
Digital clock
stopwatch
FM Radio
12volt power supply.
wireless voki toki.
Dc motor controlled by IR remote.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I'd like to make something that I can use for myself; such as a ~2 watt audio amplifier to drive some PC speakers, but it seems op-amps can't really do power amplification, and I can't find any other schematics that I know I can understand at first glance.
- James
You are correct abou the op-amp. However, it is common to use an opamp as a preamplifier to drive a higher output amplifier, such as this:
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/lm380-lm380n-2-watt-audio-power-amplifier-ic.html

If you do something like this, pay close attention to heat sinc requirements. These types of packages typically use large circuit board traces to cool the chip.

SPQR

Joined Nov 4, 2011
I meant different lights reacting to frequency bands in audio signal, no idea how it's actually called in english.
So a series of bandpass filters, tuned to a particular frequency range, and if sound above a certain db is present an LED is turned on?

Kind of like a digital VU meter, but instead of volume, it's frequency.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Yes, usually it is just 3-4 bands, with an amplitude detector and a comparator for each band.
3-4 bands is typically a "Color Organ"

5-16 bands usually gets the label "Audio Spectrum Analyzer", which is a bit of a misnomer, but most people recognize that term for the "LED bars that jump up and down to frequencies"

The latter would make a good project as well. You'll learn a great deal about filters if making an 8 band display, centers are usually an octave apart, so say, 60Hz, 120Hz, 240Hz, 480Hz, 1.2kHz, 2.4kHz, 4.8kHz, 9.6kHz, with a 10 LED bargraph for each frequency "bucket".

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
so how i start to make it
You are attempting to hijack someone elses thread, which is not allowed at AAC. Normally I would create new thread with this thread as the first post, but it so brief no one would know what you are talking about.

So start a new thread instead, explaining what you want. You can refer to the URL of this thread as a reference.