First Robot Microcontroller

mr_mac3

Joined Nov 16, 2008
I am going to build my first microcontroller circuit for a demo robot for my BEST Robotics team. We received a microcontroller, the BEST BRAIN, in this years kit and now that we didn't go to regionals we thought instead of ending the team we would rebuild our demo robot, HAL. So far I have not been able to find a schematic online but that wouldn't help much because it would be complicated to build (it is all SMT components). Our requirements are:
  • 4 proportional motor control outputs
  • 6 servo motor outputs
  • 8 discrete digital inputs
  • USB port for program download
  • Powered by a single 7.2 volt RC hobby battery
  • 8 programable LED
  • 1 or 2 diagnostics LEDs
  • 7 channel reciever
  • Teather or trainer cable port
  • Needs a timer or clock
  • All or mostly DIP or DIL components
  • Preferably free or sample parts

Thanks,
The Woodlands Homeschoolers BEST Robotics Team

mr_mac3

Joined Nov 16, 2008
Does anyone have a schematic or part recommendations or good websites or books that would help in designing this?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
"Best Brain" doesn't turn anything up on Google, so it's hard to guess what it is capable of. I suppose if you are going to start over, that is relatively unimportant.

Many of the AVR microcontrollers have close to the capabilities on your list. That is also a small matter until you have some functionality in mind.

What do you wish the robot to do? That will have quite a lot to do with the selection of external hardware. With no functionality stated, how can anyone select a schematic?

Also, how did you program the first robot? Was it with a BASIC, C, or assembler?

Here is a link to a site with literature - http://www.robotbooks.com/hobby-robots.htm.

mr_mac3

Joined Nov 16, 2008
Search for BEST Robotics then select all files, Brain support, then look at the different files also go to all files, Official Contest Documents, Game Files, returnables list and look at the motors and other things

sorry about that forgot that those things had big importance

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Can you provide more details about the specs you need so that we may better assist you in your selection process?

hgmjr