First Day of lobster Season in Florida

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Survived first dive for new season,the water was very clear.
The great Atlantic Ocean,off the coast of Fort Lauderdale,
Florida.We use a tickler to get lobsters from there hiding place.
No luck first day,will go for night dive this weekend. Any Florida
guys on forum?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Call me in 20 years then may be I'll eat something out of FL... :(
Most resturaunts in Tampa aren't even selling seafood anymore also were required to dump anything we catch all the way down here. I think there still letting you guys down there keep your catch but I wouldn't. The chemicals have already made it that far you just can't see em since the gulf is breaking the oil up and its in the water column.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I said the water was clear,and I got a mouth full of the same old salt
water.Seems o k for now,will keep you up to date.I would not want to eat
bad seafood.The lobster,you got to get him first,they call them bugs.

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
Fort Lauderdale is on the Atlantic Coast.

With strong currents and the whole Atlantic to dilute any contamination I would not be too worried.

mmmm lobster... beerm butter, and some towels to wipe up

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
The gulf current goes from Neworleans around the FL keys up the east coast. Contamination could very well go up the east coast to NY. The problem is we've never dumped this much oil and kerosene in the ocean before so we really have no idea if its going to kill everything on both coast's, one coast, or none. One things for sure the oil has gone missing and it wasn't picked up, so its somewhere between New Orleans and Key West, they just don't know where because its so hot down here the oil is breaking down and mixing with the water.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
This is also a case of an unwanted experiment and breeding program. There are bound to be things that eat that oil, and like it. If this turns out to be the case they will breed like mad until all their food (the oil) is gone. Basically a best case scenario we can only hope occurs.

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
There is still a whole lot of dilution involved.

At the Fort Lauderdale area you would be talking about less than a teaspoon of oil to the tankerfull of Ocean.

The BP spill is a horrible mess and it will have long lasting impacts in the gulf but...

The Gulf is not a write off and areas as far out as Fort Lauderdale CAN basically ignore the spill.

The Oil Spills major message should not be about this particular mess. It should be a wakeup call about all of the hidden costs involved in Fossil Fuels. Wars, Global Warming, and pollution, and the Trillions of dollars in expenses that should be applied against CHEAP oil.

But this message by the OP should be about how tasty some lobster would be.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I don't think thats quite accurate. Anything including what I say is purely a guess because were in uncharted territory. In bad news their finding dispersent in Blue Crab Larvae here in Tampa so figuring were half way between you and the spill....hmmmmmmm Right now were really don't know whats going on because the oil has gotten semi broken up by bacteria's as was said before, but mainly heat. This doesn't mean the oil has been treated it just in different state and place, its actually worse since its mixing with the water and staying submerged. There now saying when the underwater oil get close to shore it will start popping back up again. Hey I hope your right and the gulf can clean itself. Thats just not probable, and not what were seeing so far.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
How about alaska king crab legs,any Information on past oil spills
and king crab.We can get all we can eat for $8.00.Also lobster
has been shipped to Fla. from Hondurus since the 60's,so you
never know where your seafood comes from,unless you get the live
Maine lobster from a tank,you pick the one you want.The government
has advised for years to eat seafood once a week because of mercury
samples that show up in seafood being tested.Air lines can ship
seafood around the world,you can never be sure about food any more.
The amount of chemicals use in the gulf should be of a concern for
every one.There Is a black out on the news about the oil from the spill
In the gulf.There will be a lot of mis-Information so they can sell the gulf
seafood.There Is an area around here that has a lot brain cancer In kids.
The state says chemicals In the water Is not the promlem,the state
never take fault for Injury of chemicals.Remember the famous love canel
that was proven to kill alot people.People were forced to abandon the whole
town.You may know of other sites across the country,nobody cares.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The BP spill is a horrible mess and it will have long lasting impacts in the gulf
Change the wording a little and you have the Exxon Valdez incident. The port of Valdez and the surrounding area is thriving.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Change the wording a little and you have the Exxon Valdez incident. The port of Valdez and the surrounding area is thriving.
You know they still have oil washing ashore from the valdez and the valdez was a much much smaller spill in a much larger body of water. It also did severe damage to the environment that still hasn't recovered.

About the seafood once a week deal that only for large preditor fish. Anything that basically eats smaller fish in abundence with a high metabolism. Like Tuna, Shark, Grouper, Snapper, etc.... Most shell fish are low in mercury. What scary is by far the worst mercury tainted fish come out of fresh water. Its not all seafood thats high in mercury just certain types. Heres why it happens. We put off pollutants. It rains, mercury gets into the rain. Falls into the ocean, rest of the bottom, gets eaten by bacteria and microbes, which are fed on by smaller baby fish, which are eaten by medium sized fish, which are eaten by the large fish. The more a fish eats and the larger it is ,is what makes a fish high in mercury. The same thing will happen with the oil and dispersents. There already finding it in the blue crab larva so its gonna be in everything soon enough.

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
It is somewhat naive, and not very enlightened to compare those two oil spills. Both the type of spill and the amount differs significant. The impact a oil spill have in arctic climate is much much worse both on the environment and wild life. As one example, the natural bacterial breakdown of oil in cold environment much slower in a arctic climate. I guess if you turn rocks upside down in the area near the exxon Valdez accident/disaster you will still find oil residue from Exxon Valdez.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Sure you can. The ratio of oil to water is high in the limited area of the Exxon Valdez spill but is probably less than the ratio in the Gulf of Mexico.

My point was the definition of long lasting effects.

It may not be as long as one thinks.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
How much Is opinion and how much Is facts on this subject.
What are the sources for answers. Its like everyone wants this B.P.
spill put of and out of mind for money and tourist reasons,and saying the
food Is great.Would feed It to my family,one B.P. excec,said.Who can you trust anymore,only a few people I know.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
It is somewhat naive, and not very enlightened to compare those two oil spills. Both the type of spill and the amount differs significant. The impact a oil spill have in arctic climate is much much worse both on the environment and wild life. As one example, the natural bacterial breakdown of oil in cold environment much slower in a arctic climate. I guess if you turn rocks upside down in the area near the exxon Valdez accident/disaster you will still find oil residue from Exxon Valdez.
I agree its quite naive to compare one spill thats 20 times larger then the other, and in a much more populated area. If you hadn't read they are reporting today that the gulf spill is now 20 times larger then the valdez. Cold or Hot 20 times the oil is gonna be way way way worse. Plus this time we dumped toxic chemicals onto the oil to make things way worse on top of the oil. Whats funny is their detecting dispersent in the wildlife but not oil yet. LOL
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upsho...hot/bp-oil-spill-officially-largest-on-record

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
One was right next to a shore line, the other deep ocean, so while the spill was 20X larger (I'm granting this number is accurate, I have no idea one way or another) the dilution effect is much, much greater. It strikes me there is a certain amount of hyperbole concerning this.

This may bring to light some other issues that have been ignored, such as the fertilizer pollution that has killed a rather large area in the gulf due to oxygen starvation. It was there long before the oil, but has received little or no attention. Both issues are deserving of attention.

The oceans are big, but they can only take so much.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I watched a program filmed in the 90's about another oil company.
This was a central america country,the oil was in there crops and
there complaints cost there leader his life,the oil company would not
allow mercy to save death sentence.The under ground press just got the
story aired.Like the hockey stick,the u.s. oil reserves peaked in the 70's
and caused the Carter oil shortage. They say all countries have overstated there
there oil reserves,and started to hord oil,so oil and food supply has been a concern
going back 30 years.So you know about chemicals and oil and food.So what do the kings eat and where does it come from.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
One was right next to a shore line, the other deep ocean, so while the spill was 20X larger (I'm granting this number is accurate, I have no idea one way or another) the dilution effect is much, much greater. It strikes me there is a certain amount of hyperbole concerning this.

This may bring to light some other issues that have been ignored, such as the fertilizer pollution that has killed a rather large area in the gulf due to oxygen starvation. It was there long before the oil, but has received little or no attention. Both issues are deserving of attention.

The oceans are big, but they can only take so much.
Well said Bill. I think the biggest point I want to make is that were dealing with a scale so large we just don't know and won't know until it happens. Everything we see in the news, internet, and paper is just someone guess.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
U know, living in an exotic country I never had the pleasure of tasting lobsters.
Even though I had lot of opportunities in resort anything u can eat dinner nights at bars, I never had the guts to touch them. I have had chances to eat lobsters or crabs.

I really donno how they taste like.
I ate pizza at India, Bangalore for the first time, and since then it has been one of my favorites.

I have had tasted lot's of different reef fishes since I go out night fishing. I have had the opportunity in catching mantle rays, sharks and a sword fish ones. The sword fish nearly skewed me, :eek: it jumped in to the dingy as I tried to reel it in. Missed me by inches. wouldn't believe me if I said I ducked it like ducking bullets by keanu in the Matrix. I never got to return the favor to that fish since it went from one side of the dingy to the other side, snapping the line with it's teeth.
Never went fishing after that. :(.

I have been thinking of eating a lobster next time I go to a resort, Last week I had a chance but the busy schedule did not let me.
The thought of eating crabs give me the shivers.

But hey who knows. May be I will next time.
It's high time I taste the best cuisine that are out there.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I like them a lot. Like a lot of foods they were considered trash in the older days, so poor folk perfected the art of cooking them. Then they were discovered by the so called upper class, now they are expensive. :rolleyes:

They have a flavor similar to shrimp. Their texture is similar too, but firmer. They don't have the grain beef or swordfish have though. I love them myself, but then my Dad was from Boston.