First attempt with a PIC, winpic keeps freezing?

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by Detonator, Apr 4, 2010.

  1. Detonator

    Thread Starter Member

    Mar 6, 2010
    So trying out my first ever programming after building my programmer from a kit, its based on the COM84 programmer.

    I using a 16F88 as my test piece and was using this test file to just check everything is working with my setup and programmer: (scroll to end)

    I have MPLAB and WINPIC installed on my laptop and due to not having a serial port i am using a USB-Serial converter (prolific 2303 which is confirmed to work with WINPIC apparently).

    I setup everything and initialise winpic and get the "successful" message so i assume communication is all fine from Winpic-USB-Serial-Programmer, i "erase" pic command after selecting 16F88 and again successful message. I then load the above linked HEX file and do the load->program command and as its using usb converter it takes an age to "program" the PIC, but no errors. So far so good, that part takes 15mins due to USB usage. Then winpic moves onto "verifying" and after about 10mins the cursor chages to the great windows egg-timer. After waiting another 10mins i check windows task manager and i see that Winpic is "not responding" :(

    I tried this out 2-3 times, and i always seem to lose Winpic during verifying?
    Any ideas to a newbie to pics and programmers? I mainly right now just wish to test that setup is all ok, that programme kit is working and PICs can be programmed ok.

  2. Markd77

    Senior Member

    Sep 7, 2009
    No idea why it is taking so long, my PICKIT2 clone does it in a couple of seconds.
    Something to consider that when a program is "not responding" it may still be working and may reach completion. If it takes 15 minutes to write it will probably take the same to verify - how long have you left it?
  3. Detonator

    Thread Starter Member

    Mar 6, 2010
    The programmer details does warn that if using a USB *convertor* then it can take a very long time, i just wasn't expecting 30mins+. I left it once for 45mins and still was "not responding", i try again tonight and see if luck strikes.