Fire fighting robot without microcontroller

MohamedSaa3d

Joined Feb 16, 2014
hello , i have a task that i should to do
making a fire fighting robot without microcontroller -_-

i need to know how can i connect sensors to logic gates and how can i convert the analog ouput to digital to use it in the gates

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The Completed Projects Forum is for Completed Projects only. It is meant to allow members to show plans for projects they built so other members can duplicate them if desired. New threads are also automatically moderated per Moderator review for this reason. Your thread does not belong in this forum, and was moved here.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
hello , i have a task that i should to do
making a fire fighting robot without microcontroller -_-

i need to know how can i connect sensors to logic gates and how can i convert the analog ouput to digital to use it in the gates
What sensors? What requirements?

In general, one could use a comparator to convert analog to digital.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I'm not sure you can implement this functionality in any meaningful way, but since you have defined no actual requirements it is hard to speculate on results. Is there some particular reason for your desire to avoid a microcontroller?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Start with a block diagram of what the robot needs to do. I assume that the first step is to provide a means of locomotion to search for and navigate to the fire. Another step is fine control to get close enough to the fire. Then there must be a method of triggering whatever fire suppression method you are using...

Can you provide more detail as to the arena in which this robot is going to operate? What is required by this assignment? What do you have control over (i.e., is the fire suppression method specified or can you choose)?

There is a variety of sensors that you can use for each function. For example, if you research IR sensors, you may find them useful.

Research robots, too. You may find that simple line following robots use logic that you also may find useful. This is a popular contest/assignment so I know there are resources you can find.

As to your original questions, connecting sensors to logic gates and converting analog to digital, it all depends on the sensor. Light dependent resistors change their resistance. They can be used to provide a variable voltage which can further be converted with a comparator. IR receivers output a voltage and often can be directly interfaced to digital logic. Also, minor poiint, but you state the assignment says you cannot use a microcontroller, but nothing about requiring digital logic. Is this correct?

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I was not sure if this was a school assignment or an open ended query. If it is a school assignment and the only requirement is to avoid a microcontroller, then I need to ask if a complex FPGA would be a fair approach. We really need more details on requirements in order to help you on this one.

Inquisitive

Joined Nov 12, 2011
Let me put forth few points to ponder. What types of fires will it deal with. Structural fires? Chemical fires? Vehicle fires? What about an electrical fire? What method of fire suppression will it use? Chemical? Water? Fires come in different classifications. Not all suppressant chemicals will work on all jobs. Will it determine the proper fire class? Class A, B, C, D or K? Which combinations will you use? Each fire classification must be handled differently. If using chemicals how strong is the device, can it carry 20 lbs? 50lbs of suppressant. Will it use foam? If this device tows a charged line can it withstand the physical forces? How big will the hose be? The larger the line the the more counter force/weight is needed to stablize the robot.Some chemicals remove oxygen such as Halon as their approach to extinguishment, if a human is nearby the robot could possibly kill a human if the wrong choice is made.

If it gets too close to its intended work radiant heat will destroy the device. If any plastics are used they will melt. How will it determine the proper location to attack the fire? Will it use European firefighting methods or will it use North American methods. Both have benefits and costs to the methodology.

Just a few thoughts.

There is more to firefighting than meets the eye.

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Inquisitive - while very informative, I suspect that this may be beyond the assignment the OP has been tasked with. IMHO

I also note that the OP has not responded for a week… Perhaps this is another "drive by" posting.

MohamedSaa3d

Joined Feb 16, 2014
am sorry for delay in replay because of the study :)

here is the details

A candle will represent the fire, which has started in the place where the
robot must find and then extinguish. The light level of the surrounding in the testing area
will not be determined until the day of the competition. For this reason, a light sensor
cannot be used to detect the fire. In order words, the robot must be able to make ambient
light reading as part of its design complementation. However, it is assumed that the room
will be lit by overhead high pressure sodium vapour lights. Knowledge of the
surrounding light must be taken into consideration in order to make an appropriate fire
sensor. Thus far, it seems like it will be better to utilize a heat sensor.

and in this competition

Important rules:
1. The system is to operate using digital logic circuits (and make use of some analogue
interfaces) in order to fulfill the task.
2. The robot has to be able to avoid collision with any wall.
3. No microprocessors nor microcontrollers are to be used. -_-
4. No remote control or keypad are to be used.