Finger Lock

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
John.
I simply states the no ebay seller ships them. But I can get it if it is in US

Any ways arrangements are made to buy one from US and will destroy it once I have it in my hand.
Till then...this thread is on hold

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Rifaa,
Sure, you can get a USB fingerprint scanner, and sure, you can get software that runs on a PC to store and later recognize the fingerprint.

I haven't looked lately, but I have not seen any PIC applications for fingerprint recognition.

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a PIC with enough processing power and particularly non-volatile storage and RAM to do all the processing that will be required.

Instead of trying to "roll your own" software with a PIC and a zillion memory modules, I'd suggest that you try to find out what's available for a very basic PC running a Unix-like operating system, like Linux or Ubuntu. Try to keep it somewhat simple; the only thing it needs to do is keep your door locked, but unlock it no matter what if someone authorized rubs their finger on the pad.

What I'm thinking of is a PC that has a UPS capable of powering both the computer and the lock/unlock device. The PC spends most of it's time in a "suspend" state, but wakes up when someone pushes a button next to the finger pad, and then opens the door if the finger pad swipe matches a stored entry. After a few non-matches, the computer goes back to sleep.

The computer stays awake as long as the door is open. When the door is closed, it is locked, and the computer goes back to sleep.

You will also need some method to re-boot the machine remotely in case it crashes and you are locked out - or simply have a key to unlock the door lock from the outside.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Using a PC is no big deal. But having one to unlock a simple door is somewhat too much. I am better of with a keypad or tht one Alberto suggested.

The tag can be worn around the waist like jewelery thing :p.
Or as locket or something, may be a ring

We'll see what happens. Have to had the hardware to go to the software.

Or is the other way around :D

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It can be said that dogs (and some other animals) are what make us human. Dogs are impeccably honest and loving by nature. It is hard to imagine a culture that forbids them. John