Finger Lock

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I surfed thru ebay for a finger print scanner. It Seems ebay is full off USB finger print scanners. But non of them ships to Maldives..
What the hell .....:eek:

Why aren't they shipping to Maldives, is Maldives full off finger print scanner scam or something??????

Anyways...I wanted to change a certain lock in my home. The lock which access to the first floor where I am currently staying. Very recently we were robbed. The scumbags took a laptop and phone & money. I heard that Maldives has the best forensic lab through out Asia.

IMHO, this so called forensic lab and it's employees are so good tht they cannot seem to find what we have lost. In fact they can't seem to find any thing lost by any one other than high class families. What I am saying is they don't even bother to go thru all the evidence tht is left in a lower class cases.

I never miss a CSI episode on AXN. I am mystified by the way the crime scene is handled and how well the evidence are collected. It may be a TV show but what it shows is exactly how it should be done. They don't leave anything behind.

But, In my case, our forensics did not even bother to take the obvious places where a print could be. Instead they just dusted the tables and it's surroundings. They didn't even check the cupboard handles from where the thieves stole the money. I remember saying it twice.

I am positive tht they have the finger print of every single one in Maldives. This is a small place and crimes happen almost everyday.
They even take finger print from ppl who report crimes. I know...cause they took my prints when I went to report a crime.

Now these things makes to believe tht even we have the best forensic lab, we don't have the ingenuity to run it. They just don't train staffs.

Enough of tht...
My problem is tht the we cannot always keep the door locked and giving keys to every one is not easy. First I though of putting a keypad lock, but this would put mom in trouble, as she seems to forget certain things. And changing pass code every now and then is not easy. So the best option is the finger print technique.
I checked around and here these type of locks costs an arm and leg. On ebay it's OK, but I though what if I make one.
The first thing I need is the scanner. this is the difficult part, memorizing all the pass prints.

I know this won't be easy but in order to start I need to have a scanner. I have to experiment on this but no seller is shipping 'em to Maldives. What a drag!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Any ways, take a look at this link ( a typical one tht everyone has )

What I was thinking was tht to get something like this and dismantle t and make a finger print lock from it. I know I can make the lock but the scanner part is where all the problem lies.
Question is, is it possible to take a scanner like this and make a lock. which can memorize family members.
I know I will need some kind a μC to deal with the scanner and memory part.

What I really want to know is tht is this possible, or am I over my head again. :D

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Rifaa, it's a nice idea in theory, but what's to stop some guy knocking the door down or going in through the window? Installing an alarm system will be much more effective as a deterrent. Make sure it is visible that there is an alarm.

Living in South Africa I can advise you that an alarm system is a lot more usefully than a finger print system. If you live on the ground floor or are privileged to live alone then a perimeter alarm system is a must.

Regards

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
An alarm is worse for me...the thieves here always looks for unlocked doors, if they are are locked they will move on.
Second...I do not have a window tht could possible be used to enter to the first floor.

So, I just like to know tht if this is possible

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Sure. Hook it directly into a PC.

You can use an older PC with a serial port OR use a USB to serial adapter to handle the relay.

The relay will operate the solenoid door latch.

If you wanted to incorporate a PIC, It would be A LOT more involved.

A LOT.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I was thinking to involve a PIC. or something...I like it to be stand alone.
If this is possible I like to try this, does any one of u think tht this is possible.

Just say tht it is possible and I will start on it.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
IMHO, this so called forensic lab and it's employees are so good tht they cannot seem to find what we have lost. In fact they can't seem to find any thing lost by any one other than high class families. What I am saying is they don't even bother to go thru all the evidence tht is left in a lower class cases.

It's the same over here to somehwat the same extent.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Do they sell property Insurance there,In the U.S. they don't
do the prints either.They look at you and you did have Insurance.
If you don't have Insurance,they look at you like dummy. How a bout
a german shepard dog or a doberman,they protect your home.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Hi,

I think this is "do-able".

It may need to scan and remember a few fingers, not only one.

I think you need some sort of backup-system, if the power is lost.

Maybe construct the hardware and connect it to a laptop for troubleshooting. With a laptop you will still have access, at least for a few hours, until the power is back.

I was thinking of making a lock with keypad, just for learning, but I'm stuck with only 24 hrs a day... :(

God luck. :)

BTW: I had a Great Dane once, and my house was left alone.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
First of all to everybody, dogs are not allowed in Maldives.

tom, how would u plan on going about this.

Alberto, please clarify ur opinion.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Egads, no dogs? No wonder the men are so depressed. No friends. Get a Judge to help you.

John

Edit: BTW, it is not clear why conventional keys cannot be used. Also, while scanning is critical to fingerprint cataloging, software for identification and differentiation between users and bad guys might not be trivial. Have you reviewed the recent post in the Completed Project Collection that uses an off the shelf reader for lock security? If your mother has trouble with a code lock, I suspect she might also have trouble with a fingerprint reader.

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
John. Let me tell u a story on dogs with Maldivians.

First being a Muslim country dogs are not allowed as well as alcohol on local islands are banned. There is no way around this.

As for the story.
The airport and customs were having hard time controlling drug trafficking and such.
So I donno who gave the idea but this happen years back during our only and old presidents reign. Dogs were brought to the airport and since we have no training and aren't allow to touch 'em, handlers were also brought with 'em.

The trial was going smoothly until when these guys started barking at the red passport holders luggage's. :eek:

Dogs made a bad move. a no no.....

well !! I guess u can imagine where the dogs ends up after tht. :D

As for my problem..
Having keys as we go downstairs and all ain't easy...
our home is not like ur's, this is why u have hard time grasping my situation.
I went for finger print cause our thieves and uncivilized drug addicts. They doono **** about technology. So a simple thumb scanner is more than ideal for an indoor lock. We do not have to carry anything and the door will always be locked from outside.
Just press thumb and viola. the door unlocks.

I need to keep the door locked when no one is around and to open with ease..This is the era of technology. Why wud want to use keys.

Please tell me is this do able with the scanner tht I showed. Just tell me and I will get cracking on it.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I have lived in high-crime neighborhoods. Carrying keys was never a problem, so long as you weren't mugged to get them. That is why other safety measures were taken too. So, I really can not appreciate what conditions would make it impractical.

As for the Maldives, you have commented at one time or other that companies won't ship there and various other limitations on how you must live. So, simple is best. You may find a great fingerprint reader, but can you get it?

Finally, in playing with the Craftsman consumer-level reader mentioned in the aforementioned project, I have found using the middle finger works best. That may vary with the individual. My thumb and index finder are pretty beat up. I would highly recommend getting a unit and experimenting. If carrying a key is inconvenient, what do you think a balky reader that requires multiple swipes and/or resets will be like?

John

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
What's to stop the frustrated theif smashing in the fingerprint reader? Then you can't get in because you have no keys.

Here's a better idea: you could do facial recognition on a laptop and have a webcam behind a window. It is doable using hardware that should be available in Maldives.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
FACIAL RECOGNITION!

Now THAT would be a project!

Problem is, everyone on the island would stand around to watch the house with the facial recog system!

THEN they all wonder what your hiding! Not a good idea.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
FACIAL RECOGNITION!

Now THAT would be a project!

Problem is, everyone on the island would stand around to watch the house with the facial recog system!

THEN they all wonder what your hiding! Not a good idea.
You'd have to hide the camera, then nobody would know. And don't remove the locks.

There is probably some free open source facial recognition software on the internet somewhere.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
If it is available in USA. I can get it.
I have had the opportunity of getting the best of hands.

You people are leading me every where.
I did a lot of thinking and the finger print is the best option for me under these circumstances.
So I would like to start with this. If this is a workable idea.
I think I will get a USB scanner and brain storm it.