Finding the resistance between the drain and the source - transistors

trappy

Joined Mar 27, 2008
Hi guys ,

My first post so please go easy - what a good site !

Right i have a question im struggling with .

I have a transistor (type not known) with a resistor conected to the emitter,
the base of the transistor is connected to the source which is 5 volts and the collector is connected to ground.

im told Vt is 1 volt and K = 0.5 mAVsquared Vd is 0.1volt

im asked to calculate the effective resistance between the drain and the source?

what does this mean ? are they asking for the current through the resistor ?

Any formulaes / solutions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Source and drain implies FET; collector, emitter and base implies BJT. Which one are we looking at here?

Do you have a circuit diagram? That might help clear things up.

Dave

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
That's a misdrawn FET.

With 4.9 volts dropped across the resistor and .1 volt across the FET, the FET resistance is 49x that of the resistor.

veritas

Joined Feb 7, 2008
Why do you think that is a misdrawn FET, beenthere? I've seen that symbol used for it dozens of times in my classes.

(sorry to post somewhat off-topic)

veritas

Joined Feb 7, 2008
to clarify for trappy, since you have Vd, you can solve this just as though it were a voltage divider with two resistors => Vd = Vcc * Re / (Re + Rd), assuming that Re is the effective resistance of transistor from source to drain.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
The nMOSFET operating in the triode region (which it it in this example) the resistance is given by:

\(r_{ds=\)\(\left[k(W/L)(V_{gs}-V_{t})\right]\)

This would calculate the effective resistance as a function of Vgs (which is the controlling parameter in the triode region. Given the information you have (you are not given the transistor dimensions although you can calculate it), the voltage divider explanation given above is appropriate.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Incidentally, the representation of the transistor in the diagram is a valid symbol for a nMOSFET, where the arrow denotes the source. Switch the arrow direction and you have a pMOSFET. It is a more common representation here in UK.

Dave