Finding the element inside a box

indu407

Joined Aug 10, 2009
you have given a box, and it contains one element( resistor/inductor/capacitor) with wires connected to both ends of the elements.
you need to identify whether the given element is resistor/inductor/capacitor. however you can use voltagesource,ammeter and voltmeter.

Consider what happens at the time when you connect the voltage source to the box. What changes as time continues? What happens when you disconnect the source from the box?

For a resistor, when you connect a voltage source the governing equation will be V = i*R. Current, i, flows as long as the source is connected.

From what you know about capacitors and inductors, how does the voltage and current change over these elements when a source is applied?

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
If it's anything other than a resistor in the box, you will need an AC voltage source of some sort. They you can figure out the reactance (and impedance) by using the AC impedance formula Z=e/i. It MIGHT be possible to use the RC time constant, if it's a large value of capacitance, or the R/L time constant if ther's a large inductor.

If you apply 120V ac to the terminals and the box explodes, it's probably an electrolytic capacitor inside. :D

Eric the Practical.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I guess this question is somewhat hypothetical. And the question is more related to StayatHomeElectronics answer. How does how does the voltage and current change over these elements when a source is applied?