Finding parts

CVMichael

Joined Aug 3, 2007
I don't understand why after this long there is still no web-site that can provide a service for finding parts needed for our electronics projects.

I spend hours just to find one (or a few parts). It's as if everyone assumes that we already have in our heads a dictionary with all the parts that have ever existed.

For example I am trying to find some logic gates, but I need it within certain specs, one of those is an 8-input OR gate that can go up to 60MHz (or more). Yesterday I spent like 2-3 hours on the net, and I still did not find the part number. And that is just one single example.

I am a programmer by profession, it would not be too hard for me to develop the database and the web application to store this kind of information, but the problem is adding all the parts in the database. Unless I get some volunteers to enter this data in the database, or maybe I should allow anyone to post data in it ?

If there is already such a web-site, it's probably kept secret, because I did not find any...

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I don't understand why after this long there is still no web-site that can provide a service for finding parts needed for our electronics projects.
I think you pretty much self-answered the question. It would be a large effort to track down all the information, vet it, keep it current, and ensure that it doesn't get contaminated by people who have a hidden agenda.

CVMichael

Joined Aug 3, 2007
If you go to manufacturer's web sites
I don't even know what manufacturer(s) make these parts, and what about other kind of parts, how would I know what manufacturer makes each kind of part that I would need in my projects ?

What I meant to say in my previous post, is there a common web-site, say something like Wikipedia, but for electronic parts ?

Looking at the link you provided, I see that ECL family provides the speed that I'm looking for. Now how can I get a list of ECL logic gates ?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
ECL boards make good room heaters. Haven't messed with ECL for a number of years now, but they were handy for working with speedy stuff back when you didn't have a choice. Built a board that output a 64kbit stream of Boolean logic that was running at 117MHz. Not so speedy nowadays, but that was 30 years ago. ECL D-type FF's are still handy to use as a prescaler for input to freq counters.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Last I saw Alcatel used ECL that clocked at 40Ghz, and beyond. IT's not dead, just moving up in speed along with everything else.

When I was younger I used to thoroughly scan electronics magazines advertisers for parts. Nowdays I do it with internet sites like BGMicro and others. Sometimes it doesn't come easy, you just have to work at it.

I would have killed for a resource like this site when I was younger. Electronics requires studying on several levels, it isn't all mathematics and schematics.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Just had an experiment and found a new google trick.
If you search for :
"or gate " "60..200 MHz"
It brings back results with anything between 60 and 200 MHz.
I'm going to find that handy a few times I think.