Finding a way to connect the end of Christmas lights to a regular light plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katg22

Joined Oct 3, 2016
Hello. I am a newbie to anything lights related. I want to be able to connect a regular hanging lantern to my Christmas lights so that it can be on the same plug / light switch as them, however, the plug doesn't fit in the end of the Christmas lights plug. any way to fix this / macgyver it so that it works?

thanks!

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The reason it doesn't fit may be that the voltage and current ratings of the lantern are totally different from those of the Christmas lights. You need to verify the ratings before macgyvering anything or you could let the magic smoke out of something.

Katg22

Joined Oct 3, 2016
The reason it doesn't fit may be that the voltage and current ratings of the lantern are totally different from those of the Christmas lights. You need to verify the ratings before macgyvering anything or you could let the magic smoke out of something.
Ok. Yeah I'll do that. Glad I asked on here. I told you I was a total newbie / amateur

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Can't tell if the two slots on the receptacle picture are the same size. The prongs in the other picture look polarized and the slots on the receptacle don't appear to be.

It's generally not a good idea to modify/jury rig 2 prong polarized plugs because they're used to prevent shock/electrocution hazard.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I just take a dremel or bench grinder and shave the oversized prongs down on polarized plugs like that so they work either direction in situations like this.

Katg22

Joined Oct 3, 2016
thanks for all the replies guys! I think I will just use an extension cord to plug it into the other plug connected to the switch so that there are no fire hazards haha!

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
I just take a dremel or bench grinder and shave the oversized prongs down on polarized plugs like that so they work either direction in situations like this.
Tcmtech I sure hope you're receiving counseling for that nasty case of suicidal mania:p!

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
My only mania is against nanny state regulations and overbearing safety designs. :mad:

I hate having to deal with stuff that's been made so safe its somewhere between difficult to use to being out rightly friggin' useless in its as made design.:mad:

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
The polarized plug insures the lamp "shell" of socket is neutral.
If all is as it should be.
Trivial, maybe, yet real possibility of shock.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
My only mania is against nanny state regulations and overbearing safety designs. :mad:
I have a bunch of 0.4 watt LED night lights with polarized plugs.:confused:
Fully self contained, about the size of a walnut.
I have to grind one leg so I can fit two in a dual receptical, one pointing up and one pointing down.:mad:

I hate having to deal with stuff that's been made so safe its somewhere between difficult to use to being out rightly friggin' useless in its as made design.:mad:

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I see NP socket, polarized plug.
I think it's against the rules here to advise you to defeat this system.
It's also not very smart. It looks like the TS has resolved his problem. Freedom stands against electrical safety and the like belong in OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.