Finding a job as an engineering technologist (in Canada)

Cretin

Joined Dec 13, 2012
Hi all!

So in september I begin my second of a 2 year electrical engineering technology program, and will (hopefully!) receive my diploma by years end :). I have a degree in media technologies and philosophy (4 year BA) and a few years of work experience under my belt. However, my experiences in the past were more related to marketing, business, and PR.

I fell in love with electrical engineering and the amazing work that engineers do, and knew this was the field for me. For those of you outside of Canada, a technologist is kind of a middle man between an engineer and a technician.

There is a lot of demand for technologists in Canada (or so I hear), but for those of you currently employed, do you have any suggestions on how I could prepare myself for some solid employment after I graduate. It's a tough economy I understand, but I'm committed to busting my butt this year and making sure I get my foot in the door :)

If you have any resources, websites, etc that you also know of where I could either ask for more help or get more info, please let me know!

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I've been doing this for 20 years, and I still don't know what works. Some firms I've applied to hate my resume and background, and others think I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread. The only thing I know for sure is that everything you know in this field will be obsolete in 18 months, and so you need to be continuously learning. Also, aside from electronics, you will need to learn, on you own, many other skills like office software, operating systems, programming, macros, graphics and so on. Become a sponge and absorb everything possible.