final year thesis suggestions

poxkix

Joined Nov 28, 2011
My final year is coming, I'm a computer engineering student. In order to pass we need to propose a thesis that is feasible or it can be done and finished within 5 months.

I already proposed some projects like river water level detector with SMS, android phone controlled house lighting, and an automated dog feeder but all of it was denied, maybe it is too easy for a thesis.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I would really appreciate your suggestions. Thanks guys. Still thinking for other projects.
It can be computer based projects, microcontroller based projects, or android based projects.

poxkix

Joined Nov 28, 2011
That is 3 examples of bad choices.
Do you have any examples of things the prof liked?
:D It think so too it was bluntly rejected.
My prof. would prefer somewhat like the society can use it, marketable, and NEW -> Like for example. A computer mouse usually it is wired right? Then comes the Bluetooth mouse. If we extend that, maybe a computer mouse controlled by our eye. That is my definition of new.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
How about something which can aid the elderly?

I'm think of a robot or something which can detect (or be instructed) to pick up an object for an elderly person.

Perhaps some sort of emitter in a handbag which the robot 'aims' for when instructed. It then grasps said object and raises it to a convenient height.

Sparky

P.S. I liked the water level idea. There are a few salmon fishers who pay for a similar service over here, I think.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
:D It think so too it was bluntly rejected.
My prof. would prefer somewhat like the society can use it, marketable, and NEW -> Like for example. A computer mouse usually it is wired right? Then comes the Bluetooth mouse. If we extend that, maybe a computer mouse controlled by our eye. That is my definition of new.
Pardon me, I did not mean to imply your suggestions were poor, only that they did not meet your prof's expectations.

I can generally envision the "mouse eye" thing. AFAIK there are devices that can track your eyes, combine that with track your head then you can predict what you are looking at. Then you can easily add "right blink" and "left blink" (though I have difficulty with a double blink myself). How much time are you willing to devote to developing this?

Designing something new and marketable is cool as long as HE doesn't get the rights to market YOUR device. :mad:

But honestly, if I had a good idea for something new and marketable then *I* would be designing it for the market.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Just thought I'd mention that both eye tracking and blinking are challenging projects in terms of signal acquisition and 5 months may be not enough for an overly complex idea

poxkix

Joined Nov 28, 2011
How about something which can aid the elderly?
I'm think of a robot or something which can detect (or be instructed) to pick up an object for an elderly person.
Perhaps some sort of emitter in a handbag which the robot 'aims' for when instructed. It then grasps said object and raises it to a convenient height.
Sparky
P.S. I liked the water level idea. There are a few salmon fishers who pay for a similar service over here, I think.
Robitics is a great idea but I was warned that going with robotics will have a lot of issues and possibilities to consider. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I liked the idea too, my idea was to detect for water level and determines if it will cause a flood or not

Pardon me, I did not mean to imply your suggestions were poor, only that they did not meet your prof's expectations.
I can generally envision the "mouse eye" thing. AFAIK there are devices that can track your eyes, combine that with track your head then you can predict what you are looking at. Then you can easily add "right blink" and "left blink" (though I have difficulty with a double blink myself). How much time are you willing to devote to developing this?
Designing something new and marketable is cool as long as HE doesn't get the rights to market YOUR device. :mad:
But honestly, if I had a good idea for something new and marketable then *I* would be designing it for the market.
No harm done sir.
But that was just an idea and I think I can't possibly do that kind of project. I was thinking of a student level project, you know what I mean.

Oh no, I wouldn't want that also, if it will come to that then I'll dismantle the finished project the thing lacking now is the project.

poxkix

Joined Nov 28, 2011
Just thought I'd mention that both eye tracking and blinking are challenging projects in terms of signal acquisition and 5 months may be not enough for an overly complex idea
I think so too and I think I don't have the capable knowledge for that project. Do you have a good suggestion sir?

I have background in MCU programming using MikroC, a bit of VB6, and java if that would matter

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
sticking with assisted living projects (those are always good) - maybe something to do with home environment something like a super-universal remote that would be self learning and very easy to use for an individual with arthritis or other limited mobility issues. Something like that should be mostly programming, maybe a few sensors. Good luck ;)

poxkix

Joined Nov 28, 2011
sticking with assisted living projects (those are always good) - maybe something to do with home environment something like a super-universal remote that would be self learning and very easy to use for an individual with arthritis or other limited mobility issues. Something like that should be mostly programming, maybe a few sensors. Good luck ;)
You're right. Thanks sir. At least when I have an idea I can still have more for back-up

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Expanding on that, how about a simple pad which connects to a new mobile phone, or even smartphone.

When a simple combination of buttons are pressed, the phone itself rings or texts a pred-determined person.

That's one of the problems my grandparents have. There are simply to many options for everything when they have to buy a new phone.

poxkix

Joined Nov 28, 2011
Expanding on that, how about a simple pad which connects to a new mobile phone, or even smartphone.
When a simple combination of buttons are pressed, the phone itself rings or texts a pred-determined person.
That's one of the problems my grandparents have. There are simply to many options for everything when they have to buy a new phone.
Very nice idea. It is now included in my projects to propose. So it would be like an external keypad for a phone. I think this will work with android phones. Thanks.