Final Year Project

E_Slumb

Joined Jul 13, 2010
Hey guys i know there have been many that asked this but i'm abit stuck here.. i am required to find 3 ideas so that my supervisor can choose the suitable one for me.. i'll put down what i've got:

- home management using mobile devices
- LAN using power network

If u guys got anything please tell me, i really appreciate every help i can get :)

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
we all know u'll appreciate every help. but to get us starting, you have to start and then we will help in road bumps.
We cannot give everything u know.

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
He is only after ideas. he is not asking for anyone to do the work.....Yet. :D

How about home automation, opening curtains and switching lights. Similar to home management. Maybe hitech garden sprinkler system.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
How about a device that will automatically prepare a frozen dinner? You know, it would read prep instructions (bar coded on the package?), set the microwave, and automatically heat the dinner properly.

John

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Ok, you need three...

You have two:
- home management using mobile devices
- LAN using power network

If your supervisor is going to choose from this list for YOUR project, I would be SURE that you choose something that interests you.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Here's what to do: pick a project that you want to do, then pick 2 projects that are way too simple. Then you get the project you want.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
How about a device that will automatically prepare a frozen dinner? You know,
John
I donno if this is humor or not but I sure did got a crack out of it :D.

OP needs one more idea..dho! OK.
How about automatic shower, with all the temperature adjust and foam bath and all.

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
Do you like animals? Build a K9 unit electronic dog collar.

It has an audio video feed, GPS, 2 way radio and electronic dog whistle for giving commands with the whistle working at a frequency that most bad guys can't hear. A shock collar might also be useful for enforcing commands on a dog that is not fully trained, or if it is triggered to attack when it shouldn't - when the threat it perceives is not a threat and you need the dog to stand down.

To make it work as an automation project which seems to be a big part of the project, make it possible to program a computer to command the dog. For example have the computer monitoring the GPS and giving whistle commands to direct the dog on a patrol route. RoboPups.

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
While I make it sound like a purely military application, there are parts of this system in use for search and rescue dogs particularly for Urban Rescue to crawl into buildings that collapse after an earhtquake.

E_Slumb

Joined Jul 13, 2010
@windoze killa:
i was thinking of something like u said, only that i could control them using mobile phone. so u could manage ur home while u r on vacations. but i still not sure whether i can do it or not, hurmm..

@jpanhalt:
i would include this if possible.. although preparing a frozen dinner seems weird, like making a lazy person even more lazy..

@Markd77, retched:
i would put up something that i felt interesting.. problem is i'm not sure what is interesting..

@R!f@@:
hmm foam bath eh? interesting...

@Potato Pudding:
dog training is not what i'd do.. and it seems i'll need to experiment with a dog if i'd do this.. and i'm totally not a dog person, sorry.. nice idea dho :)

E_Slumb

Joined Jul 13, 2010
This morning while i was going to work (training), i thought of some idea. There's an idea of flexible working time and i would like to develop the proper system to count the hours of an employee working a day. But the problem here is, i don't know how is the current system working.

All i know right now, at least at my place, they're using thumbprint not the punchcard anymore. And it will record the time-in and time-out.

Hmm, seems like there's nothing much to upgrade.. My current idea:

- Home automation/management; curtains, lights, sprinklers, shower, etc.
- LAN using power network in a house, office, factory, etc.

@windoze killa:
i was thinking of something like u said, only that i could control them using mobile phone. so u could manage ur home while u r on vacations. but i still not sure whether i can do it or not, hurmm..
Yes you can do it. If you know your home IP address you can login from anywhere. (Caution..... If you can log in so can hackers but hey thats the internet for you) You can TELNET in to your PC and do almost anything you can do while you are infront of it.

You can also do it with phones plugged into USB or bluetooth. There are Iphone apps already. Personally I would prefer the net version.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
@windoze_killa: Most firewalls block ssh/telnet connections. At least, they should. If not, I wouldn't really trust them. In my experience the routers than come with ISPs generally are pretty locked down you can't even host on port 80 without disabling everything. Your IP address is rarely fixed if you happen to reboot your router it may change.

@OP: I think home automation/management will be more fun than LAN.

I am not quite sure what I have done to my router but I can login and set my home theatre to record shows while I am at work. I know my router has a static IP from my ISP.

E_Slumb

Joined Jul 13, 2010
@windoze killa,tom66: Can u guys give me a link or something so i can get some info on how to do this? Thnks for ur help :)

bradstormer

Joined Aug 6, 2010
i know this is a bit military again, (infact completely military) but how about a target painter?
it would work by integrating a gps locater and a laser range finder. basicly the gps would give your location to a micro controller, a laser range finder would give the distance to a target and send that information to the micro controller. the micro controller would then perform a calculation and give the gps location of the target.