filter using capacitor or inductor is advantagee

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

Your question is too broad to answer satisfactorily. In the most general terms, capacitors block DC, and selectively pass AC better and better as the frequency increases. Inductors pass DC, and selectively block AC as the frequency increases.

For a better understanding, go to allaboutcircuits.com and read the sections in chapter 1 that talk about capacitors, inductors, and RC and LR time constants. Also chapter 2 - the filters section. This may let you answer your own question, or at least be able to reformulate it so we can help you.

disantlor

Joined Jun 21, 2006
capacitors have the advantage of being cheaper and less bulky, and they behave closer to the "ideal" from what I've read. Is that what you mean?

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
hi

since your question is so vague, we could not specifically give you something you can think about. you mentioned a filter function, but what do you want to filter, ac or dc. at what frequency range do you wish to filter. what kind of capacitor do you want to employ? there are many different kinds of caps, each behaving differently when employed. but if you are asking for a general overview of the filter characterisctics of a capacitor or induction, then the suggestion of "beenthere" is adequate to the insight of your question.

moz

AHMARAFAH

Joined Jul 11, 2006
mozikluv said:
hi

since your question is so vague, we could not specifically give you something you can think about. you mentioned a filter function, but what do you want to filter, ac or dc. at what frequency range do you wish to filter. what kind of capacitor do you want to employ? there are many different kinds of caps, each behaving differently when employed. but if you are asking for a general overview of the filter characterisctics of a capacitor or induction, then the suggestion of "beenthere" is adequate to the insight of your question.

moz
thank you for your time.I want attract your attention to the following:
the question i asked related to ac filters to selest audiable signal by using ceramic capacitors .
i hope that the information i recently post enable you to give me clearous replying.
looking for your answer

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Ceramic capacitors have realatively smaller values, usually less than one microfarad. They will have high impedence at audio frequencies and lower impedence at higher frequencies. They could be used in an audio pass filter by shunting the higher frequencies to ground.

Example: A .01uF cap will have almost 4k ohm resistance at 4KHz, enough to develop a siganl across it - the same cap at 4MHz will have less than four ohms resistance to ground.

If trying to separate one audio frequency from another, ceramic capacitors are a poor choice. They don't come any larger than a microfarad or so. Another type of cap would be needed.

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
hi,

you mentioned using ceramic caps as one of your components in a filter circuit. "thingmaker3" gave you insights on how a ceramic cap would react to ac signals.

since we now know the type of cap you wish to use, at what frequency range do you want to filter or pass on. give us that info and we can now give you advice as to what capacitors to use most effectively. you must remember that for every kind of cap they react differently at various ranges. each has its own strenght & weaknesess.

moz