Filter design

syedali

Joined Jun 2, 2014
I have design a filter using 1mh choke and 1nf capacitor but still there is 2volts ripples at the output and i need 0.14v ripples at the output. how can i suppress these ripples.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I have design a filter using 1mh choke and 1nf capacitor but still there is 2volts ripples at the output and i need 0.14v ripples at the output. how can i suppress these ripples.
What kind of filter? Schematic please.
What is your input to the filter?
What is the maximum ripple that you can tolerate?

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
Filters do not eliminate noise or ripple they only reduce the amplitude of them.

How much they are reduced is subject to an appropriately designed filter taking into account the input signal and output requirements. You have neither said what the input to the filter is nor the output requirements of the filter nor which filter configuration you are using - only given the value of two components.

Guess why there are so many types of filters.

syedali

Joined Jun 2, 2014

Filter Type: LC filter
Input: DC with ripples of 2 volts
ripples that can tolerate at the output: 0.14 volts
Input/Output : voltage

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010

Filter Type: LC filter
Input: DC with ripples of 2 volts
ripples that can tolerate at the output: 0.14 volts
Input/Output : voltage
Sounds like you are building rectifier.

Filter is whole different thing.

syedali

Joined Jun 2, 2014
If the input voltage is 27 volts with ripple voltage of 2V. then what should be the value of smoothing capacitor to reduce the ripples up to 0.14v

syedali

Joined Jun 2, 2014
The input voltage of 27v having the ripples of 2 volts comes from the solar panel and it is DC not AC. IF the input is DC then what should be the formula of smoothing capacitor to reduce the ripples up to 0.14 volts

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
With filters of any kind it is very important if not essential to know the frequency of the desired signal. And of the undesired signal. Do you know what those are in your case?