file type association for disk drive.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
first of all i advice everyone dont try it at home.

one of my friends accidentally set the find option as default for disk drive file types from the file type -advanced tab under folder options.
now the problem is neither he nor i m able to revert this .
to make problem worse he turned off system recovery option though i dont know
if that wud have helped (hopefully not since i advised him to do so to save disk space:eek: )
now whenever he double clicks the drive find option pops up. we want to get rid of this problem. of course there are other ways to open the drive, but for the sake of convenience is there a way to undo this change?any ideas you have might be helpful so please post.

warning-if u have no idea about this plz do not try by trying the above change . i have one fallen brave attempt at the problem by another friend already.

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
Run regedit.exe. Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell key and change the (Default) key value from 'find' to 'none'. It should fix your problem.

A warning, if you are not comfortable editing/changing registry file, please make a backup first.

Incidentally, System Restore would have fixed the problem if it was enabled :D

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
something i learned today a bit late but never to late so i wud like to advice everyone:
when u install a slave drive or plug in a flash drive some viruses(which may be present in those drives) use the autorun function to get them installed on your system.
turn the autorun of the drives off by using tweakui (available at microsoft website) by installing the said program and going to drive option and unchecking the drives.
this might save you from some of the viruses out there.
sadly i found this out after getting an infection from my friend's hdd.:(
wishing healthy virtual life to all.:)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
something i learned today a bit late but never to late so i wud like to advice everyone:
when u install a slave drive or plug in a flash drive some viruses(which may be present in those drives) use the autorun function to get them installed on your system.
turn the autorun of the drives off by using tweakui (available at microsoft website) by installing the said program and going to drive option and unchecking the drives.
this might save you from some of the viruses out there.
sadly i found this out after getting an infection from my friend's hdd.:(
wishing healthy virtual life to all.:)
It's another one of those "convenience-features" built into Windows that make it is easy to infect.

Dave