Fibre Optic System

MrL

Joined Oct 21, 2009
Hi,

I'm working on a short distance optical fibre communications system, which i will have to design and build. I'm currently in the design phase of the system, and have therefore began to consider the transmitter and reciever design, as well looking at the power loss budget and various other factors.

My system is to be designed around 2 electronic devices communicating with one another. I have to select two electronic devices, and design the system around them. However, i am struggling to come to terms with how this would affect certain areas in the design, as at the moment, i have a clear understanding of how a standard optical communcations system operates.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
First you need to decide on the transmit speed. If you don´t need it to be comparable to ethernet optical links, then I suggest using TOSLINK cables and transmitters/recievers because they should be much cheaper than any "proffesional" stuff.

As for the devices, are you supposed to create a link between two devices of your choice, or to desing those devices as well?
Edit: Would a RS232 UART link between two computers over optical physical layer be a valid outcome?

Last edited:

MrL

Joined Oct 21, 2009
Thanks for the replies so far.

What the project requires is for me to build the reciever and transmitter, but not the actual electronic devices. The link between the two devices is two electronic devices of my choice, but i am not required to integrate my optical system into the devices themselves. The purpose is to make the optical system compatible so that it would be able to work if it was indeed integrated.

The general requirements as to what devices and data rate is used is entirely open to me, which is why i was wondering how the choice of devices would affect my design, although clearly, the data rate would be linked with the choice of devices.