fiber optic cleaning systems

martinroyan

Joined Aug 31, 2010
Hi every one
Can some one guide me or please suggest some company name along with their website which can help me in buying fiber optic cleaning systems

thankx

Hanneman

Joined Sep 1, 2010
If you just want to clean the core, submersion in concentrated nitric acid or piranaha solution (conc sulfuric acid and hydrogen peroxide) for several hours will work. Unless absolutely necessary, hydrofluoric acid will slowy etch the glass core, but it's quite dangerous.

If you want to remove the cladding layer, it depends on the material. The fiber we use has a proprietary cladding, and we melted it off with a lighter - much faster than the manufacturer's recommendation.

If you want to cleave the ends, or install connectors and polish the end faces, both Newport Optics and Thor Labs have several options - all manual and not intended large volumes though.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
If you just want to clean the core, submersion in concentrated nitric acid or piranaha solution (conc sulfuric acid and hydrogen peroxide) for several hours will work. Unless absolutely necessary, hydrofluoric acid will slowy etch the glass core, but it's quite dangerous.
From my exerience always try to buy any acids (especially Nitric) from a local supply house, shipping the stuff can be expensive and when you're buying nitric the first thing they assume is you're going to be mixing it with Hexamine.

I also wouldn't recommend getting anywhere near hydrofluoric unless you've very experienced in chemistry.