FFC/FPC pitch issues

badtronics

Joined Nov 17, 2012
Well, I've got a 40 pin FFC, and a 60 pin, non-clip receptacle breakout like this thing: http://microcontrollershop.com/product_info.php?products_id=3726 . With some electrical tape to thicken the terminal and ensure a snug connection I've gotten 39 of the 40 pins properly connected, otherwise some pin ends up doubly connected with another. I've tested several of the 20 possible positions to the same result. Does 0.5mm pitch mean different things to diferent people? Any ideas on how to rig this (melt the cable so its a pin wider? bend some pins on the connector?)

I appreciate any suggestions.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I have run into this before. The manufacturer mixes metric and inch measurements.

"FFC cable connector is assembled with FFC 60-pin, 0.5mm pitch connector and 3 x 20pins, 0.1" spaced male headers."

(Edit - after reading your question again, I see you we're talking about the connector not the header, same answer applies, just on a different scale).

Not a problem with devices when you have only a few pins. However, line up 20 pins and it starts adding up. 0.1" is equal to 2.54 mm. In metric headers, the common spacing is 2.50 mm - the difference from 0.1" is only the width of 2 human hairs. You are likely about 1/3 of a pin out of alignment by the 20th pin, however. Sorry but no other help than to suggest you order from a different supplier who knows the difference between 0.1" and 2.50mm, no matter how small it is.

Last edited: