Fender Red Knob Twin troubleshoot

guitarlos

Joined Jan 25, 2012
My Fender "Red Knob" Twin guitar amp does not turn on at all. I've changed the fuses and power tubes and it doesn't turn on. Any ideas? I'll take it to a pro to work on it but I would like to know what it might be.

Thank you.

guitarlos

Joined Jan 25, 2012
The power light does not come on and the power in my room is on. ;) Power switch seems to be heading in the right direction. It worked and sounded great and then one day I turned it on and it didn't work.

Thanks.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The first thing to do is set the multimeter to the highest resistance range.
Turn the "Red Knob" power OFF. Unplug the power cord.
Measure the resistance across the flat prongs on the AC plug. You should read an open circuit.
Turn the "Red Knob" power ON. Measure the resistance across the AC plug again. You should read a low resistance (about zero ohms).
Set the multimeter to the lowest resistance range and measure across the AC plug again. You should read a low resistance (about 10 ohms maybe).

guitarlos

Joined Jan 25, 2012
Hi,

I did it but I think my multimeter isn't so good. It's a cen-tech and I had it set at 200k. There didn't seem to be much of a difference with the power switch off then on. Here is the reading (off 11.2) (on it begins to drop and goes to 0). Man I wish I knew more! Thanks for your help.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
How long does it take to drop to 0? This does not make much sense.

The schematic diagram for the Twin Red Knob shows two fuses on the AC power input.
Remove the fuse on the back and check the fuse with your ohm-meter.
If that is ok, you have to find the second fuse. I don't know why they would put two fuses in series.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Well I am stumped. Sounds like you have a bad connection the AC mains circuit somewhere.

You could check for a bad power switch by putting a jumper across the contacts.
This is a double pole switch and both LIVE and NEUTRAL lines are switched. Do be careful and know exactly what you are doing. If you don't, take it into a reputable repair shop.

Where was that second fuse?

guitarlos

Joined Jan 25, 2012
Hi
I checked the power cord with the multimeter and it's good. I checked the on/off switch and it's good. I checked the connection from the switch to the fuse and it's good. Second fuse is inside the chassis next to the fuse the pop's out the back end of the amp. My skills are very limited and I know that one can get hurt with an amp so when I get the money, I'll take it in. I really appreciate your time and effort. Thanks.

Last edited:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

When you measured the fuses, where they in the circuit or did you take them out?
If they where still in the circuit and the value is lowering, you could mearure the charging of a capacitor with a defective fuse.

Bertus

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Here is the AC Power section for the "Red Knob" amp.
There is no cap on the input section. The Panel Indicator LED should come on unless:

1. AC power is not reaching the mains transformer T2.
2. The mains transformer is faulty.
3. The power LED is bad.
4. Power is not reaching the LED.

My suspicion is a bad contact or wiring in the AC power line circuit.

A resistance check across the AC power plug should show a solid unchanging resistance of about 10 ohms instantly, no slow changes.

What happens when you short the leads of the testmeter while on resistance range?

Last edited:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Seeing the schematic it is clear that there is no capacitor.
How is the resistance when you measuring the resistance on the powerconnector pins, when the switch is closed?
There could be a resistance in the switch due to dirt / oxidation.

Bertus

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I have a Fender Super Champ XD and a Fender R.A.D. Bass and they both read about 10 ohms at the AC plug when the Power Switch is ON.