feeling of impending doom

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
It's 4:45am and I'm still awake so I'll paint a picture for you.

Imagine you live in dodgy neighborhood; it's night time and all your doors and windows are unlocked and standing wide open. you're in bed; try to make yourself sleep.

No way, right? how can you fall asleep with the knowledge that any common crackhead could waltz in your front door at any minute?

Now imagine that the thought that your doors and windows are open, somehow escaped from your brain but the worry remains. You know there's something very important you need to do right away; a very good reason why you can't go to sleep yet, but the reason just out of your mind's grasp.

now you're me.

I get this every few months. It lasts a few days; can't shake the feeling that I'm forgetting something of the utmost importance.

Its like when you leave the house and you know you're forgetting something, but X10. I call it "the feeling of impending doom."

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
If this is effecting your well-being you should consult a physician. Sounds somewhat like anxiety - albeit currently at a "low" level. Don't just put up with this - however infrequent the occurrences.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Does this feeling pass by itself or only when you manage to remember what the important thing was you forgot? In the end, was there something important you forgot?

I get this feeling only when I travel, and I know that forgetting anything important like passport, credit card will cause a lot of annoyance.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Imagine this Strantor,you have a good computer or laptop,you are paying
for service. You fall a sleep and someone comes in and take your computer.
You are a strong guy,if they wake you up your doom will come true,being
have a sleep who know how every one will react.Is the heat wave making
you get all the air you can.Big guys get killed in North Miami every day for
reason not to know right away.They use a lot of guns,It takes years for arrest
to be made. No one talks even If they know something.So doom is very real.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Imagine this Strantor,you have a good computer or laptop,you are paying
for service. You fall a sleep and someone comes in and take your computer.
You are a strong guy,if they wake you up your doom will come true,
Strange you should mention this. Last year when my wife was overseas, we kept pretty much a 24/7 portal open between our seperate locations with skype. One day I was watching TV and I had my laptop to the side of me, I could see her sleeping if I looked over. I heard her waking up so I looked over and saw lights coming on. Turns out she had been robbed in her sleep. She didn't wake up until after it was over. Several other houses on her street were hit also. One girl in another house said she was awake when the guy came in and she played possum. She said he stooped over her, smelling her hair and peeking under her blouse, then stole her phone and laptop. I can only assume he did the same to my wife (he got all the cell phones in the house and her purse and her mother's purse). If I had looked away from my TV and toward my laptop at the wrong moment I would have seen him and I probably would have shouted, waking my wife up. If she had woken up and seen him she would have screamed and then who knows what he would have done.

JingleJoe

Joined Jul 23, 2011
I too am plagued by this!
It has not afflicted me for months, possibly years now that I think about it.
I know exactly what you mean though, I used to get this feeling every so often, I thought it was because my memory is so bad and I'd just forgotten something I really wanted to do, but I don't think it's that.

Warning: Getting really deep and philosophical now; one possibility is that it may be because of an awareness I have of humanity. I can't even sum it up in this one message it would take days to explain it all in enough detail for it to mean anything. The summation of all this knowledge yeilds terrible vistas of reality which perhaps I knew without realizing at the time, scince then I have come to know it conciously. Perhaps I got the feeling because I was succumbing to the human nature of ignoring uncomfortable truths but at the same time, I cannot lie to myself (or to others ... usually) so I ended up feeling impending doom instead of knowing "impending doom".

As a young child I distinctly remember having a sense that I knew some terrible secret but that no one would beleive me when I told them. It was the most isolating horrible feeling, very similar to this and possibly a precursor of it.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I too am plagued by this!
It has not afflicted me for months, possibly years now that I think about it.
I know exactly what you mean though, I used to get this feeling every so often, I thought it was because my memory is so bad and I'd just forgotten something I really wanted to do, but I don't think it's that.

Warning: Getting really deep and philosophical now; one possibility is that it may be because of an awareness I have of humanity. I can't even sum it up in this one message it would take days to explain it all in enough detail for it to mean anything. The summation of all this knowledge yeilds terrible vistas of reality which perhaps I knew without realizing at the time, scince then I have come to know it conciously. Perhaps I got the feeling because I was succumbing to the human nature of ignoring uncomfortable truths but at the same time, I cannot lie to myself (or to others ... usually) so I ended up feeling impending doom instead of knowing "impending doom".

As a young child I distinctly remember having a sense that I knew some terrible secret but that no one would beleive me when I told them. It was the most isolating horrible feeling, very similar to this and possibly a precursor of it.
I don't think I have any more terrifying insight into society than the next guy, but having never been inside the collective mind of scociety, I cannot make any comparative analysis. Maybe I do; and that's the problem, but I doubt it. without reading your tomes of information on the subject, I feel hard to relate my experience to yours. It is nice to know I'm not the only one though.

TBayBoy

Joined May 25, 2011
I too get anxiety attacks, in general what I've learned is it can frequently be brain chemistry related. Can be, and frequently is easily treated with either medication, or special skills learned from a professional.

Call your doctor, they can help you allot with it.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I prefer Churchill talking about Hitler, "Just because someone is paranoid doesn't mean they don't have enemies.".