Feeding load with two 220V AC power supplies to reach uninterrupted power supply.

EEngineer93

Joined Feb 28, 2021
1.jpg

As shown in the diagram, I am trying to connect two power sources to load. The battery source is for emergency in the case of power outage of the wall source. I want the switching to be instantaneous with no interruption of power.

What is the best solution to this problem? Is there a board out there that I could use? There must be no interruption of power.

Thank you!

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
For no interruption of power, the typical UPS uses the inverter to power the load all the time, with the battery being continually charged by the main's power as well as supplying the inverter power.

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
That block is called a transfer switch.
If you don’t mind losing a hundred milliseconds or so, a simple DPDT relay will do.
If a faster transition is required, you require to use SCR or IGBT devices but still lose perhaps half a power cycle, 10 milliseconds in your case.

For truly uninterrupted power, you’ll do as Crutschow explained.

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
That block is called a transfer switch.
If you don’t mind losing a hundred milliseconds or so, a simple DPDT relay will do.
If a faster transition is required, you require to use SCR or IGBT devices but still lose perhaps half a power cycle, 10 milliseconds in your case.

For truly uninterrupted power, you’ll do as Crutschow explained.
How Can I make 220v ATS with IGBT Circuits ?