Fast switching bridge rectifier

soda

Joined Dec 7, 2008
Hi to all members,
Please tell me if it's bad or ok to use a fast switching bridge rectifier on a normal LM317 supply. What trouble's me is that I'm only pulling a 160mA from the lm317 and the temp went up to 70 degrade Celsius.
I have a lot of these bridges and wanted to see if i cant make use of it.
Thanks soda

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Can you post a schematic?
What is the input voltage and what is the output voltage and the current draw?

Greetings,
Bertus

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The temperature rise of the LM317 has nothing to do with the rectifier; it has everything to do with the power dissipation in the regulator, which is the product of the current through the regulator multiplied by the voltage difference between the regulator input and output.

soda

Joined Dec 7, 2008
Mike, thanks for the advise. So if i look what you say, then there's nothing wrong with using the fast switching rectifier, it's more the regulator. I'm going to put the regulator on a bigger heat sink.
Bertus, i know there's nothing wrong with the diagram of the power supply, but i just thought the 160mA was not mush. The lm317 can handle up to 1,5amp. I think the bigger heatsink will do the job.

Thanks for the help, guys
Soda

soda

Joined Dec 7, 2008
Hi blueroom
My input voltage is 26vac and my output is 15v dc. I use a larger heatsink for the LM317 and it's running mush cooler now.
Thanks for the reply