Fast Food Drive-Thru Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If it is real, then he has violated at least two FCC regulations (unauthorized modification of a transmitter, unauthorized transmissions on a radio frequency), and when the FCC eventually catches up to him he may be facing some very stiff fines and possibly jail time.

There plenty of legal ways to have fun, that don't interfere with businesses and people just trying to get something to eat.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
Two things I am skeptical of: #1, being able to triple the frequency of a CB radio with a crystal modification, #2, actually finding a crystal oscillator in a toaster!

You cannot simply increase the operating frequency of a CB by that much, since it is not designed to work in that range. It's kind of like putting 9V batteries inside a remote control and expecting 5X the range. Secondly, why in the heck would they have crystals in toaster ovens? This is truely puzzling and I will have to see it to believe it, I think it was fake.

People that think it is funny to hijack a drive through radio deserve not to have a toaster oven and to ruin the CB radio they bought.

Steve

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Tripling the frequency aside, I doubt the output circuitry would allow much of a signal to pass to the antenna, if any was passed in the earlier stages.

There are plenty of CB schematics on the web.

One other minor point, the equipment used by the fast food joints will not be Amplitude Modulated. The communications will be difficult at best.

Attachments

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
why in the heck would they have crystals in toaster ovens?
I haven't opened mine up, but it definitely has a countdown timer. This sounds like a likely application for a crystal. It also apparently has a microcontroller. For example, if I set it on the "7" toast position, it will run for 5 mins 30 secs if cold. If it is still hot, or warm, from a previous cycle, it will adjust the time downward accordingly. It is very good at predicting how long it needs to run to get the correct amount of toasting for a given setting, regardless of what temperature it starts at.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Especially far-fetched since the alleged purpose of the alleged crystal is to control the frequency of the heating coil. For "safety" reasons, no less! What frequency does a 60Hz heating coil need to run at to be "safe?":rolleyes: Hint: it ain't six plus megs.

Also note the frequency of this "difficult to purchase" crystal: "6.5536 Mhz." The first page of Google offers such a chip from Mouser, Digikey, Debco, and OEM. And show me, if you can, a mixing chart which will "triple" the frequency range of a CB by substituting such a low frequency crystal.

Oh, yes, the fellow neglected to tell us which crystal in the 40-channel CB to swap out. Those things usually have three or four in order to cover TX and RX of all the channels.

The circuit board "inside the toaster" also had an impedance matching transformer and a DIP chip in it. Perhaps the DIP is a microprocessor for getting the toast just right...:rolleyes:

In short: YES! IT'S A FAKE.

But don't take my word for it... go unplug your toaster and open it up!:rolleyes:

mjelic

Joined Mar 11, 2008
Funny thing is that I have that EXACT cb radio he uses for the modification, a Realistic. I'm going to open mine up and see if at least the crystal is in the same place.

I can usually pick when something is fake or not, and when he cracks open his toaster, it certainly seems like he finds a crystal in it... Which is VERY bizarre... I would still bet a lot of money that I wouldn't find one in my fancy new toaster that I have. :)

But technically speaking, I don't see why replacing the crystal in the CB would NOT make it work in a higher frequency. Sure, the antenna would not be SWR in for optimum transmission power, but it would work well enough, I would have thought.

Still... All very juvenile, if you ask me. Don't they have anything better to do?

Mark

Roen Hayden

Joined Sep 10, 2007
Funny thing is that I have that EXACT cb radio he uses for the modification, a Realistic. I'm going to open mine up and see if at least the crystal is in the same place.

I can usually pick when something is fake or not, and when he cracks open his toaster, it certainly seems like he finds a crystal in it... Which is VERY bizarre... I would still bet a lot of money that I wouldn't find one in my fancy new toaster that I have. :)

But technically speaking, I don't see why replacing the crystal in the CB would NOT make it work in a higher frequency. Sure, the antenna would not be SWR in for optimum transmission power, but it would work well enough, I would have thought.

Still... All very juvenile, if you ask me. Don't they have anything better to do?

Mark

when you open it up let us know what you find.

Xray

Joined Nov 21, 2004
That You Tube video is a hoax, just like 90% of all the junk you find on You Tube. Don't waste your time looking for a crystal in a Hair Dryer!

I can just imagine all the young teen boys who get suckered by these You Tube videos, hoping to do some amazing things with electrical devices. After they've taken apart all of their parents electronic divices, they will be in some major trouble!

It just sadly proves how many gullible (and uneducated) people there are in this world.

Roen Hayden

Joined Sep 10, 2007
That You Tube video is a hoax, just like 90% of all the junk you find on You Tube. Don't waste your time looking for a crystal in a Hair Dryer!

I can just imagine all the young teen boys who get suckered by these You Tube videos, hoping to do some amazing things with electrical devices. After they've taken apart all of their parents electronic divices, they will be in some major trouble!

It just sadly proves how many gullible (and uneducated) people there are in this world.
And that's the reason why i asked if its a hoax or not.

Xray

Joined Nov 21, 2004
When I was watching that video about the Drive Thru modification, I noticed a rather interesting video title that showed up in the list on the right hand side of the page called Build Your Own Hover Shoes. Just for the fun of it I clicked on it and watched the video. It was so ridiculous that I spent the entire movie rolling my eyes and shaking my head in disbelief. But then I thought about the people who might actually believe that they can defy gravity and levitate a foot or more off the ground with a 9 volt battery and a few magnets. How many kids (and sadly some adults) will actually spend their time and money trying to make a pair of Hover Shoes according to the instructions in that video! There are literally hundreds of hoax videos on YouTube that are just as silly (or moreso) as that one.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
How would one person do what, exactly? Make a bogus video? Levitate in sneakers? Or violate FCC regulations while simultaneously committing the misdemeanor of "malicious mischief?"

Status
Not open for further replies.