Fan wires help! which is which yellow, blue , red , & black

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
What did you intend to use it for? You probably don't need the other connections, they will be for speed control via sensors.

Last edited:

joulian

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Well i put it on a 110v to 24v transformer .40amps
but its not turning on fan when i connect the +/-

I noticed the fan uses 24-60v
and has a .48amps rating. But I figured that was using its max volts of say 60.

Hmmm

I was thinking it might be some speed control also....
but what with a rheostat?

joulian

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Yes AC to DC

I don't understand why its not turning on.

I connected the +/- to the transformer and even touched the blue and yellow to one another ( if it is a sort of switch it should have worked).

eng1ne

Joined Dec 4, 2009
The input power = 23.52 W @ 48 V (the rated input).

By P = V.I, I = P/V = 23.52/48 = 0.49 A

However, at 24 V, I = 23.52/24 = 0.9 A

And at 60 V, I = 23.52/60 = 0.39 A

The quoted values are at rated input voltage, as is quoted on the fourth note right on the bottom of the page.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Joulian,

As others have mentioned, I believe you have a 48V fan. I think you will need to apply 48 volts to get the fan operating. Once it is operating, I think you will find that the yellow and blue wires are the collector and the emitter of a sensor transistor. This transistor is there to permit the monitoring of the motor's speed.

hgmjr

joulian

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Ahhhh man, I was afraid this was going to be the reason. I asked the guy at the store if it would work. He said yes, i bought it from surpluscenter.com.

Ok I just looked for a 48v transformer on that site above.
Any suggestions? on what to do. I am going over my budget on this entire project. :(

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Eng1ne,

Good point. It seems that in order to use the 24 volt fan mentioned in the earlier post, a transformer with a higher power rating will need to be acquired.

hgmjr