Fan Temperature controller

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I have been trying to find a suitable temperature controller for a fan that I need to fit into a housing. Currently the fan is running continuously which is not ideal.

I have looked on the Internet for a circuit diagram for a very basic temperature controller, and to date Have only found rather complicated circuits.

Precision here is not critical, I need to just be able to turn the fan on and off within a reasonable tolerance.

I am basically looking for a circuit diagram or a link to a site where there is a circuit diagram that I can use to build a temperature controller.

evilclem

Joined Dec 20, 2011
Are you happy with on/off control or would you like some sort of proportional control?

A Thermistor for temperature measurement would be idea due to the large resistance change with temperature compared to the more common Thermocouple and RTD.

A Schmidt Trigger can then be used to turn the fan on and off. Using a Schmidt Trigger permits enough hysteresis to prevent constant on/off cycling.

The actual selection of resistors for the reference pin on the Schmidt Trigger will depend on what Schmidt Trigger you use and the Thermistor you obtain.

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Are you happy with on/off control or would you like some sort of proportional control?

A Thermistor for temperature measurement would be idea due to the large resistance change with temperature compared to the more common Thermocouple and RTD.

A Schmidt Trigger can then be used to turn the fan on and off. Using a Schmidt Trigger permits enough hysteresis to prevent constant on/off cycling.

The actual selection of resistors for the reference pin on the Schmidt Trigger will depend on what Schmidt Trigger you use and the Thermistor you obtain.
An on off control will be ideal. I am basically trying to move hot air out of a housing, so when it gets to hot, then the fan can come on and blow the hot air out the box. When it cools down, then switch the fan off.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
An on off control will be ideal. I am basically trying to move hot air out of a housing, so when it gets to hot, then the fan can come on and blow the hot air out the box. When it cools down, then switch the fan off.
Just need a bimetal temperature switch.. no other components needed for that..
Just buy one with the desired on temp and done

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
A comparator watching a LM35 thermometer is more complicated but would be the most versatile, allowing adjustment of the target temperature and the amount of hysteresis.

How is the fan powered, is it AC or DC?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Another thing to consider in enclosure cooling is the environment it is in, if it is dusty or otherwise contaminated, rather than go with negative pressure, is to place a filter on the fan and bring air in, = positive pressure.
This way the interior stays clean.
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Good point. Easier to filter the fan that trying to filter all the places air can get into the box.