fan out of 74ALSO4

muni

Joined Jul 29, 2008
QUESTION FROM GATE PAPER AGAIN. REQUEST ANSWER

the inverter 74 ALSO4 has the following specifications.
IOh max = -0.4 mAmp,
IOL max = 8 mAmp
IiH max = 20 mAmp
IiL max = -0.1 mAmp

Calculate fan out based on the above will be
a) 10 b) 20 c) 60 d) 100

i request how to calculate the fan out, though book gives answer but my request is how to calculate this.

SIR I ALSO REQUEST HOW TO UPLOAD MY FILE THAT IS AVAILABLE IN MY PC. I TRIED THROUGH ATTACHMENT I COULDN'T DO IT. PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO ATTAACH FILE INTO THE FORUM

THANK YOU

Last edited:

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
There is an error in yuor values, the input current is greater than the output current, i think it should be in uA rather than mA.

muni

Joined Jul 29, 2008
There is an error in yuor values, the input current is greater than the output current, i think it should be in uA rather than mA.

sir in that case plase consider your own values and can u give me formula how to calculate fan out for this ic

muni

Joined Jul 29, 2008
Fanout is defined as the number of inputs an output can drive. Did you Google fanout?
sir i've searched through google i'm getting same threads as searcg results. with wikipedia i'm getting this.

The fan-out is simply the number of inputs that can be connected to an output before the current required by the inputs exceeds the current that can be delivered by the output while still maintaining correct logic levels. The current figures may be different for the logic zero and logic one states and in that case we must take the pair that give the lower fan-out. This can be expressed mathematically as
by applying values -0.4 mAmp/ 20 mAmp.
even then answer doesn't match with any of the choices.

request for new look
thank you sir

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Show us your calculations.
The Wikipedia equation includes the floor function. Do you understand what this is?

muni

Joined Jul 29, 2008
The Wikipedia equation includes the floor function. Do you understand what this is?
no sir i haven't seen the floor functions.

sir i don't know how to upload a file itno the forum else i can show u the calculation. thank you sir . i'm going through floorfunctions

muni

Joined Jul 29, 2008
sir i went through floor functions. but hardly i could understnad any thiing. sorry sir.

in this particular Q there are no calculations to carry on but i think i need right formula to solve it

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Another factor that makes a firm answer impossible, is that the chip might be driving another logic family (like 74LSxx) and the input requirements will be different, directly affecting fanout.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Another factor that makes a firm answer impossible, is that the chip might be driving another logic family (like 74LSxx) and the input requirements will be different, directly affecting fanout.
Don't you think we can assume that the values for IOH, IIH, IOL, and IIL given are intended to bracket the problem? Let's not confuse our OP any more than he/she is already.:D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M General Electronics Chat 0