Fan installation

ddaddy2420

Joined Dec 7, 2012
Hi,
I am wanting to install this fan in the hood of my saltwater tank aquarium to help with some of the heat coming from my lights, only problem is i don't know what i need to run it. The fan says its manufacturer is ebmpapst, made in Hungary. It says on the side - 115V 50Hz 230mA 19W; 115V 60Hz 210mA 18W. Can i simply cut an electrical cord and tie it to the 2 plugins pictured here? I think this is made to mount on a computer door but I am wanting to use it differently, i just don't know how to get electricity to it.

Thanks,
Dale

Attachments

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
You could solder the wires on to the pins and then cover them with shrink sleeving,

However i would strongly recommend using a 12V fan say from an old computer or psu unit, and a small power supply as your coming into contact with water, and thats dangerous!

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
And of course I hope your tank is on a GFCI circuit (or multiple GFCI's)..
Many run half the equipment on 1 GFCI and half on another so that in the event that one GFCI does trip the other stays going keeping the tank/inhabitants alive..

But as to your original question yes.. Either solder or use wire nuts to a standard 2 prong electrical cord/plug and plug it in.. (not a bad idea to put a 1 Amp fuse/holder inline on the hot lead either)

But again MAKE sure you have a GFCI.. (either built into the main outlet or a powerstrip with GFCI or a GFCI breaker) It will save your life the second any of your submersible equipment (heaters/return pump,etc..) decide to not be so "waterproof" anymore.. It happens quite often..