fan as dc load

haran

Joined Apr 6, 2008
i have connected two computer fan's rated at 12v and 0.14A each in parallel to a12V 0.5A supply. Does this mean that im supplying higher power to the fans thus making them spin faster?:confused:

Felo

Joined Feb 20, 2012
The fan's will pull only the amount of current they need, just think that a computer supply can give 20 or more amps in 12V, so why won't the fan spin it's way to outher space then?

I=V/R(Z)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Just don't connect them to supply > 12V, Then they will spin faster and possibly burn useless.

Good luck
Actually they won't. Ever open up a fan? They use electronics, so the speed is probably constant, depending on the circuitry. More voltage will just burn up the chippies inside.

Another thing to always be aware of on a fan, never use compressed air to spin them up. The counter EMF from the spinning blades will blow them faster than you can say stop. Been there, done that.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I usually use a toothpick or some such to hold them still when blowing them out.

Older AC fans are much simpler, and don't have this problem.

A typical DC fan has 6 electromagnets aligned in a circle, the fan blades have magnets in the hub that following the sequencing electromagnets. The one I opened had on 8 pin chip, one capacitor and one resistor (RC oscillator).

haran

Joined Apr 6, 2008
so what u guys mean is that its the fans will only spin at rated speed although im supplying higher then rated ampere's to them? and the will spin faster if i supply them with higher voltage?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Yes that it correct. Then using the correct voltage. The fans will draw the current they need. The mains power system can deliver a lot of ampere. But if you connect a bulb rated for use on main power lines. A 1 Watt bulb will only draw 1 Watt, and a 100 Watt bulb will draw 100 Watt.