Fake AA batteries for camera flash

MadeinCT

Joined Sep 4, 2012
Hello, I am new at circuits and electronics.

I have read online different ways, but I guess I am not electrically inclined.

My flash is a cheapo from ebay, a CY-20 or something like that. I have an RCA car battery pack from Radioshack. I believe it is 7.5v. It has the endings similar to PCs, but square.. sorry for the bad terminology.

I am trying to fabricate false AA batteries that can use the rechargeable power of the RCA car pack for faster refreshes, allowing for more photos with the flash.

I am looking for external help in building and getting the thing to work. Can anyone help?

The instructions all seem easy, but I am getting nowhere.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The Completed Projects Forum is for Completed Projects only. It is meant to allow members to show plans for projects they built so other members can duplicate them if desired. New threads are also automatically moderated per Moderator review for this reason. Your thread does not belong in this forum, and was moved here.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
My first question would be just how many AA batteries are you replacing? Each has 1.5V so unless it has exactly 5 batteries you will need a voltage converter or regulator to match what the batteries would do.

To get this proper voltage into the flash unit you might try some wooden dowels (easiest to find at any home center) of approximately the same diameter. One ends of two batteries are actually making contact to supply power (the others are connecting the batteries together). Some metal tabs hot melt glued to the dowels would give you places to solder wires from the converter. Then you sneak these wires out of the flash unit to the converter, duck tape the battery pack to the outside and you should eb good to go.

Just spit ballin' some ideas to start with.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
You might be able to do something with "battery adapter aaa to aa", just search for that on Ebay, they are pretty cheap.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
To get this proper voltage into the flash unit you might try some wooden dowels (easiest to find at any home center) of approximately the same diameter. One ends of two batteries are actually making contact to supply power (the others are connecting the batteries together). Some metal tabs hot melt glued to the dowels would give you places to solder wires from the converter. Then you sneak these wires out of the flash unit to the converter, duck tape the battery pack to the outside and you should eb good to go.
To the OP:

I am not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but here is a photo of a "dummy" battery I put in a four cell holder to reduce the voltage from 6 V to 4.5 V. Maybe it is similar to what ErnieM is describing, and will help.

Attachments

Last edited:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
...Maybe it is similar to what ErnieM is describing, and will help.
Yeah that's just where I was heading, except the metal is just at the end so it doesn't short things out... though for 4 batteries it may work and then you don't have to glue the metal to the dowel.