External Hard drive

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hello,

I'm looking into buying a 500GB portable external hard drive with USB port. I have had a good experience with internal seagate HD. What would you recommend based on your experience or knowledge?

Thanks in advance for sharing your views.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I'm using a Seagate 250Gb. Sure beats rewritable CD's.

I got an external drive housing and then the HD. They were cheaper that way a year ago.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
I have a 500GB Maxtor which works fine. A bit noisy when file transfers occur but I think newer versions are more quiet.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I use my house network and another computer. At 10Mb/sec it is pretty slow going though.

I've been thinking of trying out 8Gig SD cards. I'll let ya know how that works out.

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Thanks for your views.

I've been recommended to go for Western Digital instead of Seagate portable hard drive. Apparently, recent customer reviews have been low. What's the meaning of FreeAgent? They seem more expensive.

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I've finally bought my HD. 500GB Western Digital My Passport Essential Portable. Got it for £70 with free delivery! :D

Thanks guys for sharing your views!

jbeng

Joined Sep 10, 2006
I wouldn't think so, after all, that's what it's designed for. Also, my "MyBook" powers down and "sleeps" after a few minutes of inactivity...

Robert.Adams

Joined Feb 16, 2010
STAY AWAY FROM WESTERN DIGITAL! I have had three of their 500 gig externals over the years and all three had unfortunate demises

1 - My brother knocked it off a table. Not WD's fault
2 - It died about 6 months after the warranty expired
3 - The USB connector fell into the casing. The cases are meant to not be opened so it was hard to get it open and I opened it to find the pads had been ripped off.

That being said, I now use an IoMega eGo 500 Gb. The activity light can be annoying in dark rooms, but I'm satisfied overall.

Last edited by a moderator: