External circuit for embedded A2D module test

mahfuz

Joined Feb 23, 2008
Guys,

Would someone kind enough to share a full-complete ramp circuit design that can ramp up precisely from 0V up to 6.5V for the purpose of ADC testing? Its more into A2D since the test is for embedded ADC module testing inside a chip, not on a normal ADC device. I have tried for so long but didnt even get the circuit right.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
It is best if you create your own thread. This highlights your question so that members can focus on your specific problem and it also avoids disruption of the existing thread.

For these reasons, I have moved your post to its own thread.

hgmjr (moderator)

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
How precise does it have to be?
How long should the ramp be, time-wise?
What about the falling edge? Does it also need to be a ramp, or should it be fast?
Does the ramp need to be buffered, or can you drive the A/D from a high impedance?

mahfuz

Joined Feb 23, 2008
The positive ramp should be from 0V up to 6.5V and the frequency can be controlled. Its hard to have an analog design to control the frequency of the rising edge of the ramping voltage. The falling edge need to be as fast as possible so that it could be ready for a new ramping voltage at another clock cycle.

In terms of frequency drive, it should be operated at any frequency level up to around 50MHz (for tester usage).

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
The positive ramp should be from 0V up to 6.5V and the frequency can be controlled. Its hard to have an analog design to control the frequency of the rising edge of the ramping voltage. The falling edge need to be as fast as possible so that it could be ready for a new ramping voltage at another clock cycle.

In terms of frequency drive, it should be operated at any frequency level up to around 50MHz (for tester usage).
Dream on.:rolleyes:

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
The only way I can think that can do this simply is to use a Direct digital synthesizer. Or, If you can get a variable frequency clock to run a free-running counter, then output that to a parallel input DAC, then use a low-pass filter, you may be able to get a decent waveform.

If you understand how this is done in the analog domain, you will know that it is nearly impossible. And if it were possible, it wouldn't be a simple implementation!

Steve

mahfuz

Joined Feb 23, 2008
The only way I can think that can do this simply is to use a Direct digital synthesizer. Or, If you can get a variable frequency clock to run a free-running counter, then output that to a parallel input DAC, then use a low-pass filter, you may be able to get a decent waveform.

If you understand how this is done in the analog domain, you will know that it is nearly impossible. And if it were possible, it wouldn't be a simple implementation!

Steve
i have checked on it and the problem is that it doesnt start from 0V.