Extending Usb Cabel via 3G dongles

atnasna

Joined Apr 15, 2013
Hi All

I'm new to this forum and not very sure if this thread should go in this part or in the Computing and Networking section.
I want to build as the titles shows something like an extender for USB cable.
The idea is simple, I have several machines that are scattered around the country and can only be controlled and diagnosed via the USB/Serial port, so in order to resolve the transport problem i thought that I can "cut" the serial cable in between and put 2x 3G dongles with Sim cards inside and try to connect the two end via the Telecom network. My suggestion is that I'll have two linux machines, something close to this: http://pcengines.ch/alix1d.htm with a 3g modem on the psi port and bridge the usb port with the interface of the dongles.
The whole system must be transparent for the devices in both ends of the usb cable. For example if I have an network switch connected to a computer via its serial cable and I put this device instead of the usb cable the PC should still see the other side as if the switch is directly connected.

Has someone done something like that, and do you think it is possible?
Thanks

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The Completed Projects Forum is for Completed Projects only. It is meant to allow members to show plans for projects they built so other members can duplicate them if desired. New threads are also automatically moderated per Moderator review for this reason. Your thread does not belong in this forum, and was moved here.